Sig figs in answer? How does this work?

• Thread starter Bensky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for a number that has 3 sig figs, but their is an error in their calculation that causes them to use 4 sig figs in their answer.
Bensky

Homework Statement

The calculation to be performed is: 84.037 * (956/13.2 - 179/28.5 + 892/16.4)

The correct answer is: 1.013 x 10^4 but I don't see why this is. I got 3 sig figs in my answer, not 4. I have a test tomorrow at 7 PM - help before then is highly appreciated. This is the only problem I can't figure out.

Thank you.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

84.037 * (956/13.2 - 179/28.5 + 892/16.4)=
84.037 * (72.4 - 6.28 + 54.4)
= 1.01 x 10^4

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 3sf in the data you are given so it would be correct to give 3sig fig in the answer

mgb_phys said:
There are 3sf in the data you are given so it would be correct to give 3sig fig in the answer

So you're saying the answer on the answerkey is wrong and I am correct?

Bensky said:

Yeah, generally speaking when you have quotients and products of measured (not defined) quantities, you want to keep the number of significant figures equal to the least precise measurement.

For instance, if you had: 1.34 (units) / 3.234354 (units) * 3 (defined constant)

You want to keep three significant figures in your answer because that is the least precise measured quantity.

If you have something like a mathematical or defined constant (like, base 10 or 1000 g/kg) then that does not affect your significant digits.

Bensky said:
Yes, I wouldn't mark somebody down for putting an extra digit (it's useful if you need to carry the calculation further) but you are correct.

mgb_phys said:
Yes, I wouldn't mark somebody down for putting an extra digit (it's useful if you need to carry the calculation further) but you are correct.

This is a multiple choice test unfortunately :( -- to be clear the question is going to ask specifically about the number of sig figs in a calculation exactly like the above one but with different numbers.

Anyway, I think I found my error (this SHOULD be 4 sig figs after all I think):
84.037(72.4 - 6.28 + 54.4)
84.037(66.1 + 54.4) //since 6.28 has 2 numbers past the decimal place and 72.4 only has one, result must be adjusted to only 1 number past the decimal
=84.037(120.5) //120.5 has 4 sig figs while 84.037 has 5, so 4 sig figs must be used.

Can someone confirm my logic on my second step and my final result?

That's correct; 72.4 - 6.28 + 54.4 is 120.5 with four sig figs. Sometimes when adding or subtracting, you end up with more sig figs than you started with. Once you multiply or divide, you go with the fewest number of sig figs you're working with.

Bohrok said:
That's correct; 72.4 - 6.28 + 54.4 is 120.5 with four sig figs. Sometimes when adding or subtracting, you end up with more sig figs than you started with. Once you multiply or divide, you go with the fewest number of sig figs you're working with.

Okay, great!

Thanks for the help all.

1. What are significant figures and why are they important?

Significant figures refer to the digits in a number that are known with certainty, plus one digit that is estimated. They are important because they represent the precision and accuracy of a measurement or calculation.

2. How do you determine the number of significant figures in a number?

The general rule is that all non-zero digits are significant, while zeros may or may not be significant. Leading or trailing zeros are not significant, but zeros between non-zero digits are significant. For example, 3.05 has three significant figures, while 0.0032 has two significant figures.

3. What is the purpose of using significant figures in calculations?

Using significant figures ensures that the result of a calculation is not more precise than the original measurements used. It also helps to maintain the accuracy of the final answer.

4. How do you round a number to the correct number of significant figures?

To round a number to the correct number of significant figures, start by identifying the last significant digit. If the digit to the right of it is 5 or greater, round up the last significant digit. If it is less than 5, keep the last significant digit the same. Any digits after the last significant digit should be dropped. For example, rounding 3.456 to 2 significant figures would give you 3.5, while rounding 0.00789 to 3 significant figures would give you 0.0079.

5. How do you handle sig figs in answer when multiplying or dividing?

When multiplying or dividing, the number of significant figures in the final answer should be equal to the number of significant figures in the measurement with the least amount of significant figures. For example, if you are multiplying 3.4 (2 significant figures) and 1.27 (3 significant figures), the final answer should have 2 significant figures (3.4 x 1.27 = 4.3).