1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work problem: force vs distance curve for compound bow

1. Nov 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A compound bow in archery allows the user to hold the bowstring at full draw with considerably less force than the maximum force exerted by the string. The draw force as a function of the string position x for a particular compound bow is shown in (Figure 1) .

Part A
    How much work does the archer do on the bow in order to draw the string from x=0 to x=0.60m?
    Express your answer to three significant figures and include appropriate units.

fig_7-26.png

2. Relevant equations
    area= work

total work=sum of all areas

3. The attempt at a solution

(.2m x 350 N)/2 + (.3m x 350 N) + (.1m x 250 N)/2 = 152.5J

153J for three sig figs.

Apparently the answer is wrong, but I do not know what I did wrong? I found the area of the two triangles, and the rectangle in the three equations above.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

But the area is NOT "two triangles and a rectangle". Do you see why I say that?

4. Nov 9, 2016 #3
    No I do not. Is it because from .5m to .6m it is not a complete triangle?

5. Nov 9, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your thread title is too general. I've modified it to better identify the type of problem.

You've missed a bit of the area under the curve. Take a closer look at the region of the smaller triangle: what's it "sitting" on?

edit: Ah. Phinds got in there before me!

6. Nov 9, 2016 #5
    the smaller triangle is sitting on a small rectangle between .5m to .6m?

7. Nov 9, 2016 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Right.

8. Nov 9, 2016 #7
    That was tricky, but I got it now. Thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted