Sigh, I don't understand why I am not getting a good solution

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
So what? In summary, the conversation is about solving the inequality log_{0.5} \left | \frac{2x - 5}{x + 2} \right | < 0, where the attempt at a solution involved taking the log of a negative number, leading to the introduction of absolute values and a discussion about their implications. It was ultimately concluded that the solution to the inequality is (-\infty, -2) \cup (7, \infty).
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Solve for all x that satisifies

[tex]log_{0.5} \frac{2x - 5}{x + 2} < 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let me just say that upon doing this problem i learned that

1) When you exponeitate something to the base in (0, 1), you flip the inequality sign.

So I finally got the solution to be (-infy,-2) U (7, infty)

Now i found that this approach does not work

[tex]log_{0.5} \left | \frac{2x - 5}{x + 2} \right | < 0[/tex]

SO it would make sense that

[tex]\left | \frac{2x - 5}{x + 2} \right | < 0[/tex]

Okay after doing some test points for

[tex]\frac{2x - 5}{x + 2} < 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{5 - 2x}{x + 2} > 0[/tex]

I found that there are no solution to the absolute value ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did 0.5^(your equation) for both sides, so this does get:
[tex] \frac{2x-5}{x+2} [/tex]
for the left-hand side, but for the right-hand side, what is 0.5^0 ?

No i already solved it using that method but I am asking why I am wrong in the other.

Oh shoot, I meant

[tex]\left | \frac{2x - 5}{x + 2} \right | > 0[/tex]

[strike]It's because[tex]\log_{1/2} \left\lvert \frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert < 0[/tex] doesn't imply [tex]\left\lvert\frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert > 0[/tex]Why would you think it does?[/strike]

Last edited:
Because you can't take a log of a negative number

That's why I introduce a new inequality?

Sorry, you're right. [tex]\log_{1/2} \left\lvert \frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert < 0[/tex] does imply [tex]\left\lvert\frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert > 0[/tex]The problem is the implication doesn't work the other way. There are values of x for which[tex]\left\lvert\frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert > 0[/tex] and [tex]\log_{1/2} \left\lvert \frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert > 0[/tex]
This is like the fact that x>2 implies x2>4, but x2>4 doesn't imply x>2 because the inequality x2>4 admits more solutions than x>2. In the same way,[tex]\left\lvert\frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert > 0[/tex] is satisfied by more values of x than [tex]\log_{1/2} \left\lvert \frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert < 0[/tex]

But you couldn't take the log of a negative number int he first place with [tex]\log_{1/2} \left\lvert \frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert > 0[/tex]

Is there any meaning to creating a new inequality

[tex]\left\lvert\frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert > 0[/tex] then?If I had done

[tex]log_{0.5} \left | \frac{2x - 5}{x + 2} \right | = log_{0.5} (2x - 5) - log_{0.5} (x + 2)[/tex]

Then it is only true for (5/2, infintiy), so I destroyed the solution in (-infinty, -2)

Last edited:
flyingpig said:
But you couldn't take the log of a negative number int he first place with [tex]\log_{1/2} \left\lvert \frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert > 0[/tex]

Is there any meaning to creating a new inequality

[tex]\left\lvert\frac{2x-5}{x+2} \right\rvert > 0[/tex] then?
Not really. So why are you doing it?
If I had done

[tex]log_{0.5} \left | \frac{2x - 5}{x + 2} \right | = log_{0.5} (2x - 5) - log_{0.5} (x + 2)[/tex]

Then it is only true for (5/2, infintiy), so I destroyed the solution in (-infinty, -2)
Your mistake is in removing the absolute values from the righthand side. The two sides of your "equation" are equal only when 2x-5>0 and x+2>0.

May I ask why you're introducing absolute values around the fraction in the log? I can't see the justification in using them, plus you don't need them to solve rational inequalities like this one.

Because Flyingpig made this rearrangement:
[tex] log_{0.5} \left | \frac{2x - 5}{x + 2} \right | = log_{0.5} (2x - 5) - log_{0.5} (x + 2) [/tex]
And then he found there were problems when x=-3 (for example), the right-hand side of the equation goes bad (since we're talking about real numbers here).
So vela is explaining that you need to introduce the absolute values, or this rearrangement doesn't hold.

I think Bohrok may have been asking why Flyingpig introduced the absolute value in the first place. I didn't notice that the original problem didn't have them.

Basic stuff (for my friend, flyingpig):

For real numbers:
1. The expression [itex]\log_{\,a}(x)[/itex] is defined only for x > 0 .
   Making sure that you're taking the log of a positive quantity should be part of working out your solution.

2. If a > 1, then [itex]\log_{\,a}(x)<0[/itex] implies that x < 1 .

3. If 0 < a < 1, then [itex]\log_{\,a}(x)<0[/itex] implies that x > 1 .

Sammy, so for #3, I think that |-x| also works?

SammyS said:
For real numbers:
1. The expression [itex]\log_{\,a}(x)[/itex] is defined only for x > 0 .
   Making sure that you're taking the log of a positive quantity should be part of working out your solution.

2. If a > 1, then [itex]\log_{\,a}(x)<0[/itex] implies that x < 1 .

3. If 0 < a < 1, then [itex]\log_{\,a}(x)<0[/itex] implies that x > 1 .

flyingpig said:
Sammy, so for #3, I think that |-x| also works?
Assuming that you are referring to #3 in Sammy's list, why would you introduce this extra complication? Whatever x's value (assumed real), |-x| = |x| and is a nonnegative number.

1. Why are my experiments not yielding the expected results?

There could be a variety of reasons for this. It is important to analyze your experimental design, methods, and data carefully to identify any potential errors or flaws. It may also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for their insights and suggestions.

2. Are there any external factors that could be affecting my results?

Yes, there are many external factors that could impact your experiments. These can include environmental conditions, equipment malfunctions, sample contamination, or even human error. It is important to consider and control for these factors in your experimental design and analysis.

3. Could my hypothesis be incorrect?

It is possible that your original hypothesis may not be fully supported by your data. This is a common aspect of the scientific process and can lead to new discoveries or revisions of existing theories. It is important to objectively evaluate your data and consider alternative explanations for your results.

4. How can I improve the quality of my data?

To improve the quality of your data, it is important to carefully plan and execute your experiments. This includes using appropriate controls, replicating experiments, and ensuring the accuracy of measurements. It may also be helpful to review and adjust your methods and techniques based on feedback from peers or mentors.

5. What steps can I take to troubleshoot and improve my results?

If you are not getting the results you expected, it is important to critically review your experimental process and data. This may involve repeating experiments, adjusting variables, or seeking advice from other researchers. It is also important to maintain a positive and open-minded approach, as even unexpected results can lead to important insights and discoveries.