Writing a logarithm in a form not involving logarithms

In summary: So, if you want to solve for ##x## or ##y## in terms of ##\beta##, you'll need to use a complex number calculator to do the job.
Chijioke
Homework Statement
Write this in a form not involving logarithm.
Relevant Equations
$$\log_x(y)=1/\log_y(x)$$
logyx + logxy = 3/2
Solution
$$\begin{align*}\log_{ y }{ x } + \log_{ x }{ y } &= \frac{ 3 }{ 2 } \\
\log_{ x }{ y } &= \frac{ \log_{ y }{ y } }{ \log_{ y }{ x } } \\
\log_{ y }{ x } + \frac{ 1 }{ \log_{ y }{ x } } &= \frac{ 3 }{ 2 } \\
\left(\log_{ y }{ x } \right)^ { 2 } + 1 &= \frac{ 3 }{ 2 } \left(\log_{ y }{ x } \right) \\
\left(\log_{ y }{ x } \right) ^ { 2 } &= \frac{ 3 }{ 2 } \left(\log_{ y }{ x }\right) - 1
\end{align*}$$
What do I do next?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a quadratic equation in [itex]\log_y x[/itex]. Solve it.

Chijioke said:
Homework Statement:: Write this in a form not involving logarithm.
Relevant Equations:: $$\log_x(y)=1/\log_y(x)$$

logyx + logxy = 3/2
Solution
$$\begin{align*}\log_{ y }{ x } + \log_{ x }{ y } &= \frac{ 3 }{ 2 } \\
\log_{ x }{ y } &= \frac{ \log_{ y }{ y } }{ \log_{ y }{ x } } \\
\log_{ y }{ x } + \frac{ 1 }{ \log_{ y }{ x } } &= \frac{ 3 }{ 2 } \\
\left(\log_{ y }{ x } \right)^ { 2 } + 1 &= \frac{ 3 }{ 2 } \left(\log_{ y }{ x } \right) \\
\left(\log_{ y }{ x } \right) ^ { 2 } &= \frac{ 3 }{ 2 } \left(\log_{ y }{ x }\right) - 1
\end{align*}$$
What do I do next?
Hello @Chijioke.

:welcome:

I'm pretty sure that the problem as stated has no solution.

However,

##\displaystyle \ \log_y x - \log_x y =\frac 3 2 \ ##

does have a solution.

Likes scottdave, Chijioke and PeroK
I was not asked to find the value of x and y. I was only asked to write it in a form not involving logarithm. Is writing it in a form not involving logarithm the same as finding the value of x and y or solving the equation persay?

Chijioke said:
I was not asked to find the value of x and y. I was only asked to write it in a form not involving logarithm. Is writing it in a form not involving logarithm the same as finding the value of x and y or solving the equation persay?
"Solving" the quadratic equation, as suggested by @pasmith, will not give specific values for ##x## and/or ##y##. What the solution gives is possible values for ##\displaystyle \log_y x## or equivalently, values for ##\displaystyle \log_x y## .

Let's say you get the result ##\displaystyle \beta= \log_y x##, for some real number, ##\displaystyle \beta##. Writing that in exponential form gives you:

##\displaystyle x=y^{\,\beta}##

A difficulty with the problem, as it is written, is that the solutions for ##\beta## are complex numbers, that is, they have an imaginary part.

Likes Chijioke and PeroK

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is a mathematical function that represents the inverse of exponential growth. It is used to solve equations where the variable is in the exponent.

What does it mean to write a logarithm in a form not involving logarithms?

Writing a logarithm in a form not involving logarithms means expressing the logarithm in terms of other mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. This can be done using logarithmic properties and algebraic manipulations.

Why would you want to write a logarithm in a form not involving logarithms?

Writing a logarithm in a form not involving logarithms can make it easier to solve equations and perform calculations. It can also help to simplify complex expressions and make them more understandable.

What are some examples of writing a logarithm in a form not involving logarithms?

An example of writing a logarithm in a form not involving logarithms is converting log2 8 = 3 to 23 = 8. Another example is converting ln(ex) = x to ex = x.

Are there any rules or guidelines for writing a logarithm in a form not involving logarithms?

Yes, there are several rules and guidelines that can be used to write a logarithm in a form not involving logarithms. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and change of base rule. It is also important to remember the properties of logarithms, such as logb b = 1 and logb 1 = 0.