Sigma Algebras generated by Sets

In summary, according to the author, a σ-algebra is a domain of a function that assigns a "size" to sets, and it is defined by strengthening the assumption about disjoint unions to apply to countable disjoint unions instead of just finite disjoint unions.
Bacle
Hi, All:

A simple question: If A is the sigma- algebra generated by a collection C of subsets

of an ambient set X. Isn't it trivial that the sigma-algebra generated by A is A itself?

One definition is that the sigma algebra generated by a collection S of subsets is the

intersection of all s-algebras containing the collection S . Doesn't this automatically

mean that A is thesigma algebra generated by A? I am trying to avoid using the fact

that a countable union of countable sets is countable (otherwise, each set in A is the

countable union of sets in C, so a countable union of subsets of A is a countable union

of a countable union of sets in C , which is itself a countable union, so it is

contained in A, by def. of A as the s-algebra generated by C --a tongue-twister and proof! )

Thanks.

P.S: I am trying to answer the question for a student who has not yet seen cardinal arithmeti;

that is why I am trying to avoid using that union of countable is countable,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[strike]The smallest σ-algebra that contains A is {∅,A,Ac,X}.[/strike] (Edit: No it's not. That's the smallest σ-algebra that has the set A as a member, when A is a subset of X. But Bacle asked about the smallest σ-algebra that has the σ-algebra A as a subset. That's obviously A itself).

The definition of a σ-algebra is motivated by the idea that it's supposed to be the domain of a function that assigns a "size" to sets. What properties would we want such a function to have? Let's call the function μ and its domain Σ. Let A and B be two arbitrary members of Σ.

We require that μ(∅)=0. So we need ∅ to be in Σ.

We require μ(A⋃B)=μ(A)+μ(B) whenever A and B are disjoint. So we need A⋃B to be in Σ when A and B are disjoint. But A⋃B=A⋃(B-A), and that's a disjoint union on the right, so if B-A is in Σ, we can conclude that A⋃B is, even when they're not disjoint.

If we don't require that A-B is in Σ, we wouldn't be able to say that μ(A)=μ(A-B)+μ(A-(A-B)). Since this is a property we want μ to have, we require that A-B is in Σ.

Finally, it makes sense to require that X is in Σ. This means that Ac=X-A is too.

These conditions on Σ are exactly what define an "algebra" of sets. A σ-algebra is defined by strengthening the assumption about disjoint unions to apply to countable disjoint unions instead of just finite disjoint unions.

Last edited:
Hi Bacle! :smile:

Frederik is correct, but I think you mean something else.

You mean to say that A is the sigma-algebra and you want the sigma-algebra generated by A. Well, in that case, I'd say it's pretty trivial that A is indeed the sigma-algebra generated by A. Like you mention, the sigma-algebra generated by A is the intersection of all the sigma-algebra containing A. But A is a sigma-algebra containing A, so the intersection equals A!

(Hint: use [ itex]\mathcal{A}[ /itex] instead of A, it's less confusing that way...)

Ah, I see now that I didn't read post #1 carefully enough. Yes, I agree that it's trivial. Oh well, I needed to get those arguments straight in my head anyway, and now we have a post we can reference when someone asks why a σ-algebra is defined the way it is.

Thanks, All just a comment.;
:
I wonder what the point of this exercise was (it was taken from Royden, I was told)

Also, methodology-wise, I wonder why the exercise assigned did not require to

first show that there is at least one sigma algebra for a given collection--maybe

because the superset X from where the collection C is drawn would be one.

Bacle said:
I wonder why the exercise assigned did not require to

first show that there is at least one sigma algebra for a given collection--maybe

because the superset X from where the collection C is drawn would be one.
Yes, if C is a collection of subsets of X, the power set of X is a σ-algebra that has C as a subset. This seems like the sort of thing that you shouldn't have to prove because it has (or should have) already been mentioned in the book, right next to the definition of "σ-algebra generated by".

Last edited:

1. What is a sigma algebra?

A sigma algebra is a collection of subsets of a given set that satisfies certain properties. It is often denoted by the symbol $\sigma$ and is commonly used in measure theory and probability theory.

2. How is a sigma algebra generated by sets?

A sigma algebra is generated by a collection of sets if it is the smallest sigma algebra that contains all the sets in the collection. This means that the sigma algebra will contain all possible unions, intersections, and complements of the given sets.

3. What are some examples of sets that can generate a sigma algebra?

Some common examples of sets that can generate a sigma algebra include intervals on the real line, open sets in a topological space, and cylinders in a product space. Other examples can be constructed using operations such as countable unions and intersections.

4. Why are sigma algebras important in probability theory?

In probability theory, sigma algebras are important because they allow us to define measurable sets and events. This allows us to assign probabilities to these sets and events, which is essential in calculating probabilities and determining the likelihood of certain outcomes in a given probability space.

5. How are sigma algebras related to measure theory?

Sigma algebras are closely related to measure theory as they provide the necessary structure for defining measures. A measure is a function that assigns a non-negative value to subsets of a given set, and sigma algebras ensure that this function is well-defined and satisfies certain properties. In fact, the concept of a sigma algebra was first introduced in the context of measure theory by mathematician Émile Borel in the early 20th century.