Sign of j component in magnetic force calculation with F=qv×B

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
charlies1902
Messages
162
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A point particle has a charge equal to –3.64 nC and a velocity equal to
2.75 10^3 m/s i. Find the force on the charge if the magnetic field is
(d) 0.75 Ti + .75Tk

The solution manual had a positive number. I thought it was a typo until I saw the next problem where they got the opposite sign of what I got again for j hat.
F=qv x B, how is it possible that they got a + #?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think that i x k = -j, just as you do. However, another negative sign enters into the equation by means of q, which is intrinsically negative here. Negative charges will move in the opposite direction of positive charges.
 
cepheid said:
I think that i x k = -j, just as you do. However, another negative sign enters into the equation by means of q, which is intrinsically negative here. Negative charges will move in the opposite direction of positive charges.
OMG I'm so stupid I completely forgot about that, been too long since I did cross products. thanks a lot