Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Significance of specific votes in sample selection

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1
    I was wondering is there any way to quantify how much "power" a given selection has on the final outcome of a voting. More specifically, say you have a sample 330,000 people and you need to pick one. However, before you get to make a choice a pre-selection is applied and the sample is narrowed to only 20 people, you then choose one person.

How significant is your choice compared to that of the pre-selection in determining who is finally chosen?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Assuming you are talking about an election in which every one gets a single vote, none at all.

4. Dec 27, 2009 #3
    Specifically I was referring to an x-factor style selection. So there are 200,000 who initially attend auditions. In auditions the number of candidates is reduced to 12 from the original 200,000 by the x-factor producers and judges. The rest of the competition uses a combination of judges and public vote to actually select the final winner. I was wondering if there was any way to quantify how much choosing power or selection power the x-factor team have over the public vote.

My intuition suggests that since the x-factor team reduce the sample of possible participants by a huge amount they have the overwhelming decision power and the public vote as a whole is completely negligible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook