Silence is goldenBut please don't enfroce it is illegal

• Thread starter scott1
  • Start date
In summary, an Australian tourist has been charged with assault after telling a Texas woman to stop talking on her mobile phone at the movies. The Australian woman tapped the Texan woman on the shoulder, causing her to stand up and shout profanities before storming out of the cinema. The Australian woman has been issued a citation and will appear in court next week. There have been discussions about the need for cell phone signal jammers in movie theaters to prevent such disturbances. However, some have also expressed concern about the use of cell phones in other settings, such as during the Olympics. It is important to note that threatening or verbally attacking someone is also considered a form of assault and can result in legal consequences.
scott1
AN Australian tourist has been charged with assault after telling a Texas woman to stop talking on her mobile phone at the movies.
http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,18104683-5001022,00.html
:rofl: Movie therters really need to put cell phone singal jamers after this

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:confused: Totally backwards!

Interesting story. It sounds like the Australian woman has a personality disorder or something.

Of course you get to the last line in the story where it says police wouldn't be notifying US immigration about it, yet, apparently someone notified international news about it! :rofl:

But, yeah, I agree, I wouldn't mind if they made theaters out of something that would block cell phone reception in them. If you want to talk on the phone rather than watch a movie, step out to the lobby. I can't believe how rude some people are with phones! (On a related note, did anyone else think it was amazingly tacky seeing one of the US Olympic athletes on the cell phone as they were processing in during the opening ceremony? I thought it was bad enough when I started noticing them with video cameras, but the cell phone even seemed worse. I just don't get it...it seems so undignified to be processing in for a ceremony to start an international competition like that and be chatting on the phone or taking home videos!)

zoobyshoe said:
Interesting story. It sounds like the Australian woman has a personality disorder or something.
Are you sure you don't mean the Texas woman? She's the one who was on the phone and stood up shouting after being politely asked to be quiet and then called the cops claiming she was assaulted because the Australian woman tapped her on the shoulder. I hardly think tapping someone on the shoulder to get their attention is assault!

haha wow that was pretty odd. Two american citizens bumping into each other in Australia?

I would give the woman a medal or something when she got back to the US! Sometimes i just want to punch people who use cell phones in theatres.

Come on people, let's pay attention to what the article says:

'AN Australian tourist '

'Ms Clayton was issued a citation and will appear in a Texas court next week to answer the charge.'

'Ms Clayton said the woman stood up over her, started shouting expletives at her and then stormed out of the cinema, in the town of Webster, just outside Houston.'

Clayton- Australian tourist
Place- Texas
Lady on phone- Texan

Last edited:
I've never been to Houston. Is it near Sydney?

I thought Houston was in eastern australia :)

I'll need ot read this article 3 or 4 more times before i get all my bearings straight as to what's going on here.

Moonbear said:
Are you sure you don't mean the Texas woman?
You're right. I got them mixed up.

I think Cyrus summed up the essentials. I think some folks here need to work on reading comprehension. :rolleyes: Now go read my rant about getting stuck in snow 10 more times for practice! If you can understand that, you can understand anything. :rofl:

Oops...zooby snuck in while I was typing...my comment was aimed at Penguwino for saying he needed to read it multiple times.

Yes, that's right, you can't touch people. Then it becomes assault.

Me, I just yell at the top of my voice, "SHUT THE F*** UP MORON !" and that usually gets the trick done. *And* it's legal. :biggrin:

Curious3141 said:
Yes, that's right, you can't touch people. Then it becomes assault.

Me, I just yell at the top of my voice, "SHUT THE F*** UP MORON !" and that usually gets the trick done. *And* it's legal. :biggrin:
Actually, no. Threatening people is considered assault; touch them and it's assault and battery.

Doc Al said:
Actually, no. Threatening people is considered assault; touch them and it's assault and battery.

Where is the threat ? Doesn't a threat have to be a conditional or subjunctive statement with a penalty (implied or otherwise) for noncompliance ? Isn't "SHUT UP" just an imperative statement without a conditional clause (which can be interpreted as a threat) ? There are no non-verbal cues here, either, no weapons or "threatening" gestures.

And "moron", of course, is just an epithet. An opinion, really, although well-founded in this case. :biggrin:

My point was that the legal charge of "assault" does not involve laying a hand on someone.

Pengwuino said:
I thought Houston was in eastern australia :)

I'll need ot read this article 3 or 4 more times before i get all my bearings straight as to what's going on here.
No, no, the Bering Straight is between Russia and Alaska, I don't think this is where the women were.

Curious3141 said:
Where is the threat ? Doesn't a threat have to be a conditional or subjunctive statement with a penalty (implied or otherwise) for noncompliance ? Isn't "SHUT UP" just an imperative statement without a conditional clause (which can be interpreted as a threat) ? There are no non-verbal cues here, either, no weapons or "threatening" gestures.

And "moron", of course, is just an epithet. An opinion, really, although well-founded in this case. :biggrin:
415 of the CA Penal Code
Disturbing the Peace

Any of the following persons shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period of not more than 90 days, a fine of not more than $400, or both such imprisonment and fine:
(1) Any person who unlawfully fights in a public place or challenges another person in a public place to fight.
(2) Any person who maliciously and willfully disturbs another person by loud and unreasonable noise.
(3)Any person who uses offensive words in a public place which are inherantly likely to provoke an immediate violent reaction.

I'd imagine that most places have similar laws.:wink:

TheStatutoryApe said:
415 of the CA Penal Code
Disturbing the Peace

Any of the following persons shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period of not more than 90 days, a fine of not more than $400, or both such imprisonment and fine:
(1) Any person who unlawfully fights in a public place or challenges another person in a public place to fight.
(2) Any person who maliciously and willfully disturbs another person by loud and unreasonable noise.
(3)Any person who uses offensive words in a public place which are inherantly likely to provoke an immediate violent reaction.

I'd imagine that most places have similar laws.:wink:

Then shouldn't the woman on the cell phone have gone to jail!:tongue2:

I think its not that fair to compare TX and CA laws though :wink:

Yeah, actually, I think the woman on the cell phone is probably more likely to be convicted on either a disturbing the peace or assault charge than the woman who asked her to shush. I hope any reasonable judge would just toss out the charge on the Australian woman and throw the book at the Texan! :grumpy:

Pengwuino said:
Then shouldn't the woman on the cell phone have gone to jail!
Damn straight! :tongue:

I disagree, I think the Australian woman should have gone to jail.

cyrusabdollahi said:

It's all government propaganda! :wink:

cyrusabdollahi said:
What? Why?

I agree, she should not have touched the woman, but it doesn't seem she touched her in a threatening way, but as a way to get the woman to notice her without her having to raise her voice and disturb others. It is not an unfriendly gesture.

I think the Texas behemoth should do hard time in the slammer. :devil:

I used to live in Webster, Texas, these people are dregs of society.

cyrusabdollahi said:

Well legally she should have gone to jail but sheesh! I would try to find some inane law about "loud voices" or being inconsiderate and demand she be arrested back!

I still don't see your guys logic. She was clearly violated. She should go to prison for a long time. In fact, they should not let her back into the US.

Pengwuino said:
Well legally she should have gone to jail but sheesh! I would try to find some inane law about "loud voices" or being inconsiderate and demand she be arrested back!
What? Are you guys joking?

cyrusabdollahi said:
I still don't see your guys logic. She was clearly violated. She should go to prison for a long time. In fact, they should not let her back into the US.
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Just for touching the womans shoulder! And don't dare Jay Walk Either!

....well, duh! :smile: I just had to get you guys, you were askingggggggggg for it. You guys went berserk! ...ahahhaahah...im going to roll off my chair and die.

Last edited:
Evo said:

I'm saying the woman arrested should tell the cops to arrest the fat texan on some stupid law too!

Pengwuino said:
I'm saying the woman arrested should tell the cops to arrest the fat texan on some stupid law too!
They did. You may need to reread the article another few more times. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
They did. You may need to reread the article another few more times. :rofl:

Quit tryen to screw me up! :rofl: :rofl:

What are you talking about, I already told you the Auzi lady on the phone should go to jail and they should send the Texan back to the USA. Learn to pay attention.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: you guys are mean!

1. What does the phrase "silence is golden" mean?

The phrase "silence is golden" means that sometimes it is better to stay quiet and not say anything, rather than speak and cause potential harm or trouble.

2. Is it actually illegal to enforce silence?

Yes, it is illegal to enforce silence in certain situations. For example, in a court of law, individuals have the right to speak and defend themselves. It is also illegal to silence someone's freedom of speech or expression.

3. Why is it important to not enforce silence?

Enforcing silence can be harmful as it can suppress important discussions, ideas, and opinions. It can also violate individuals' rights and limit their freedom of expression.

4. Can silence be beneficial?

Yes, silence can be beneficial in many ways. It can help individuals reflect, listen, and understand others better. It can also create a peaceful and calm environment.

5. How can we balance the idea of "silence is golden" with the importance of speaking up?

It is important to find a balance between staying silent and speaking up. It is crucial to know when to speak and when to stay quiet, depending on the situation. It is also important to encourage and respect others' voices and opinions while also valuing the power of silence.