Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silence is goldenBut please don't enfroce it is illegal

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2
    :confused: Totally backwards!

4. Feb 12, 2006 #3
    Interesting story. It sounds like the Australian woman has a personality disorder or something.

5. Feb 12, 2006 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course you get to the last line in the story where it says police wouldn't be notifying US immigration about it, yet, apparently someone notified international news about it! :rofl:

But, yeah, I agree, I wouldn't mind if they made theaters out of something that would block cell phone reception in them. If you want to talk on the phone rather than watch a movie, step out to the lobby. I can't believe how rude some people are with phones! (On a related note, did anyone else think it was amazingly tacky seeing one of the US Olympic athletes on the cell phone as they were processing in during the opening ceremony? I thought it was bad enough when I started noticing them with video cameras, but the cell phone even seemed worse. I just don't get it...it seems so undignified to be processing in for a ceremony to start an international competition like that and be chatting on the phone or taking home videos!)

6. Feb 12, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you sure you don't mean the Texas woman? She's the one who was on the phone and stood up shouting after being politely asked to be quiet and then called the cops claiming she was assaulted because the Australian woman tapped her on the shoulder. I hardly think tapping someone on the shoulder to get their attention is assault!

7. Feb 12, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

haha wow that was pretty odd. Two american citizens bumping into eachother in Australia?

I would give the woman a medal or something when she got back to the US! Sometimes i just want to punch people who use cell phones in theatres.

8. Feb 12, 2006 #7
    Come on people, lets pay attention to what the article says:

'AN Australian tourist '

'Ms Clayton was issued a citation and will appear in a Texas court next week to answer the charge.'

'Ms Clayton said the woman stood up over her, started shouting expletives at her and then stormed out of the cinema, in the town of Webster, just outside Houston.'

Clayton- Australian tourist
    Place- Texas
    Lady on phone- Texan

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  9. Feb 12, 2006 #8
    I've never been to Houston. Is it near Sydney?

10. Feb 12, 2006 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I thought Houston was in eastern australia :)

I'll need ot read this article 3 or 4 more times before i get all my bearings straight as to whats going on here.

11. Feb 12, 2006 #10
    You're right. I got them mixed up.

12. Feb 12, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Cyrus summed up the essentials. I think some folks here need to work on reading comprehension. :rolleyes: Now go read my rant about getting stuck in snow 10 more times for practice! If you can understand that, you can understand anything. :rofl:

Oops...zooby snuck in while I was typing...my comment was aimed at Penguwino for saying he needed to read it multiple times.

13. Feb 12, 2006 #12

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Yes, that's right, you can't touch people. Then it becomes assault.

Me, I just yell at the top of my voice, "SHUT THE F*** UP MORON !!" and that usually gets the trick done. *And* it's legal. :biggrin:

14. Feb 12, 2006 #13

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Actually, no. Threatening people is considered assault; touch them and it's assault and battery.

15. Feb 12, 2006 #14

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Where is the threat ? Doesn't a threat have to be a conditional or subjunctive statement with a penalty (implied or otherwise) for noncompliance ? Isn't "SHUT UP" just an imperative statement without a conditional clause (which can be interpreted as a threat) ? There are no non-verbal cues here, either, no weapons or "threatening" gestures.

And "moron", of course, is just an epithet. An opinion, really, although well-founded in this case. :biggrin:

16. Feb 12, 2006 #15

Doc Al

My point was that the legal charge of "assault" does not involve laying a hand on someone.

17. Feb 12, 2006 #16

Evo

No, no, the Bering Straight is between Russia and Alaska, I don't think this is where the women were.

18. Feb 12, 2006 #17
    415 of the CA Penal Code
    Disturbing the Peace

Any of the following persons shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period of not more than 90 days, a fine of not more than $400, or both such imprisonment and fine:
    (1) Any person who unlawfully fights in a public place or challenges another person in a public place to fight.
    (2) Any person who maliciously and willfully disturbs another person by loud and unreasonable noise.
    (3)Any person who uses offensive words in a public place which are inherantly likely to provoke an immediate violent reaction.

I'd imagine that most places have similar laws.:wink:

19. Feb 12, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Then shouldn't the woman on the cell phone have gone to jail!:tongue2:

I think its not that fair to compare TX and CA laws though :wink:

20. Feb 12, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, actually, I think the woman on the cell phone is probably more likely to be convicted on either a disturbing the peace or assault charge than the woman who asked her to shush. I hope any reasonable judge would just toss out the charge on the Australian woman and throw the book at the Texan! :grumpy:

21. Feb 12, 2006 #20
    Damn straight! :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?