Silicon carbide polytypes (large unit cells)

In summary, this forum user is researching the unit cells of silicon carbide crystals and is looking for a source that catalogs all of the polytypes.
steve_h
Hello everyone.

I am a Hungarian born Australian theoretical/applied physicist. This is my first post on the forums.

I am aware that silicon carbide crystal occurs in many different crystalline forms. I was wondering if someone here could please point me to a source that catalogs the polytypes in an idiot-proof manner? I basically want the stacking sequences e.g. ABCABCAB... especially for those big bad boy monster unit cells.

This is not for anything serious, just for fun pondering the puzzle of how crystals with such huge unit cells are able to form from what is a very simple basic atomic arrangement. How does the ~100th layer (or whatever it is) know to repeat the pattern?.. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

I think there is a Landolt-Borstien volume about SiC. If I remember correctly from my days investigating it, the literature is the best place to start, hundreds of articles to choose from and it only takes a few to get started.

A quick google search turned up enough information to get started. The wikipedia page is very helpful

Thank you for the replies. If I find the answer I'll post it here. There is a lot of literature indeed on SiC and narrowing it down to what's relevant to my curiousities is not a trivial task.

But I did find out that SiC gets a brief mention in the classic text by Kittel (on my bookshelf :smile:) that says the long-range order is due to "the presence of spiral steps due to [non-random] dislocations in the growth nucleus". And in chapter 20 there is relevant interesting discussion on spiral crystal growth. Nevertheless the great abundance of polytypes/polymorphs with enormous unit cells (largest ones are 594 layers tall, or about 0.15 micron!) remains an intriguing puzzle for me.

1. What are silicon carbide polytypes and why are they important?

Silicon carbide polytypes refer to the different crystal structures that silicon carbide can form. They are important because they affect the physical and electronic properties of the material, making it useful for a variety of applications such as electronics, semiconductors, and abrasives.

2. How many polytypes of silicon carbide are known?

Over 250 different polytypes have been identified, but only a few are commonly found in nature or synthesized in the lab. The most common are 3C, 4H, 6H, and 15R.

3. What makes the unit cell of silicon carbide polytypes "large"?

The unit cell of a crystal refers to the smallest repeating unit of the crystal structure. In silicon carbide polytypes, the unit cell is large because it contains a large number of atoms compared to other materials, making the crystal structure more complex.

4. How are silicon carbide polytypes characterized?

Silicon carbide polytypes are characterized using techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy, and spectroscopy. These methods can determine the crystal structure, composition, and physical properties of the material.

5. Can silicon carbide polytypes be used for electronic devices?

Yes, certain polytypes of silicon carbide are used in electronic devices due to their unique properties, such as high thermal conductivity and wide bandgap. They are used in applications such as high-power and high-temperature electronic devices, as well as in the production of LEDs and solar cells.