Silicon Chemistry: Similar to Carbon? Synthesizing PEG-trimethoxysilane

  • Thread starter Thread starter hdsncts
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chemistry Silicon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
hdsncts
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Is Silicon chemistry very similar to Carbon chemistry? Being in the same column with the same number of valence electrons, I assume it would be? Would I be able to use the same mechanisms I learned in my Organic Chemistry class?

I ask because I'm trying to synthesize PEG-trimethoxysilane. I'm actually not sure what to start with, either. Any help would be very appreciated.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
In general they are different, Si-Si bond is not similar to C-C bond enough.
 
Are you sure it isn't trimethylsilyl? If so that's a pretty common alcohol protecting group. And if PEG stands for polyethylene glycol then it would make more sense to me. Cause then all you do is put TMS-chloride with pyridine and voila.
 
No, I need to have the groups attached to the silicon (except the PEG... yes you are right, I did mean polyethylene glycol) to undergo an elimination reaction with a hydroxyl group. This would attach the PEG onto another molecule via the silicon. I don't think the methyl groups would do this, but the methoxyl groups would.

Like I said though, I haven't decided what to start with- if I were to start with TMS, could I convert the methyl groups to methoxyl.