Silly math problem on precipitation

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving the calculation of volume of water over a city and comparing it to the average volume of water in a river. The person asking for help is having trouble with the calculation and is asking for assistance. Another person points out that the units need to be consistent and provides a corrected calculation, concluding that the volume of water over the city is greater than that of the river.
yoshi6
Hello everyone. I have this simple math problem that is worth 5 marks and I am not sure if it is right. Anyway it is on precipitation, here it is!

Record the amount of water (in centimetres) the tipping bucket rain gauge received. Calculate the total volume of water this would equal if this amount fell over the City of Guelph (area 86km squared). Is this volume greater or less than the average volume of water which flows through the city in the Spped River during a 24 hour period (average flow rate = 5.8mcubed per second).

Okay so first I am having trouble calculating the volume, I don't know why:

my recordings are: the amount of water (in centimetres) is four tenths of an inch--coverted equals 1.01600cm.

so, can I calculate this by multiplying 1.01600 x 86km

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
pleaseeeee help!

I noticed that you didn't bother with the units in your calculation...

okay so here is my attempt...
convert---> 1.01600 to meters and 86 km squared to meters

and then... 0.01016 x 9270 x 9270 = 873, 078.3m^2 now to compare

24 hours in seconds/ 5.8m^2 per second= 86400/ 33.64=2568.37

So, therefore, the volume of water over Guelph city is greater than that of speed river.

can someone please be so kind and check this for me? Thanks!

yoshi6 said:
okay so here is my attempt...
convert---> 1.01600 to meters and 86 km squared to meters

and then... 0.01016 x 9270 x 9270 = 873, 078.3m^2 now to compare

So, therefore, the volume of water over Guelph city is greater than that of speed river.

You really need to focus on you units. This, for example, makes no sense.

What is a "silly math problem on precipitation"?

A "silly math problem on precipitation" is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the amount of precipitation (rain, snow, etc.) in a given area or time period. These types of problems are often used to test students' understanding of basic math concepts and their ability to apply them to real-world situations.

Why is it called a "silly" math problem?

The term "silly" in this context is used in a lighthearted way to describe a problem that may seem trivial or nonsensical, but still requires the use of mathematical skills to solve. It is meant to make the problem more approachable and engaging for students.

What types of math skills are needed to solve these problems?

To solve a "silly math problem on precipitation", one needs to have a basic understanding of addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and possibly fractions and decimals. Depending on the complexity of the problem, knowledge of more advanced concepts such as percentages or unit conversions may also be necessary.

Are these types of problems useful in real life?

While "silly math problems on precipitation" may seem trivial, they are actually very useful in real life. Understanding how to calculate precipitation can be helpful for farmers, meteorologists, and anyone who needs to plan outdoor activities or prepare for severe weather events.

Can these problems be solved without using math?

Technically, some "silly math problems on precipitation" could be solved without using math, but it would be extremely difficult and time-consuming. Math provides a systematic way to solve problems and can greatly simplify the process. It is also a valuable skill to have in many aspects of life, so it is always beneficial to practice and improve one's math skills.