Simple but Unfamilliar Algebra

• Thread starter tanky322
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a function and its value at 2. The poster suggests that the "box of x" represents the function of x and explains how to solve for f(f(2)).
tanky322
This really isn't a homework question, but I figured its the best place for it.

I have no idea what this means. It was posted on another forum I frequent. The poster said he is an accounting professor, and a student brought this up from another class. The problem is as follows:
Problem.jpg

I think the X in the box just stands for f(x), and the two boxes stands for f(f(2)). But this is just an assumption.

Thanks alot,

Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
Tanky322, you seem to be correct. The "box of x" must be "function of x". Use "2" and find the value of the function; then take this value and use it again as the value to use for x. The result is then f(f(2)).

I am not familiar with this specific problem or context, but I can offer some general thoughts on the topic of simple but unfamiliar algebra.

Algebra is a fundamental mathematical concept that involves manipulating symbols and equations to solve for unknown values. It is used in various fields, including science, finance, and engineering. While the basic principles of algebra are simple, it can become complex and unfamiliar when applied to specific problems or scenarios.

In order to understand and solve unfamiliar algebraic problems, it is important to have a strong foundation in the basic principles and rules of algebra. This includes understanding operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as concepts like variables, equations, and functions.

In this specific problem, it seems that the X in the box represents a function, and the two boxes represent the function applied to a specific value (f(f(2))). However, without more context or information, it is difficult to provide a specific solution or explanation.

In general, when faced with unfamiliar algebraic problems, it is helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts, identify the known and unknown values, and use the rules and principles of algebra to solve for the unknown values. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or online resources to better understand the problem and its solution.

In conclusion, while algebra may seem simple in theory, it can become complex and unfamiliar when applied to specific problems. It is important to have a strong foundation in the basic principles and rules of algebra in order to effectively solve unfamiliar problems.

1. What is simple but unfamiliar algebra?

Simple but unfamiliar algebra refers to basic algebraic concepts and equations that may not be as well-known or commonly used, but are still important for understanding more advanced algebra. This can include topics such as solving for variables, simplifying expressions, and working with exponents and radicals.

2. Why is it important to learn simple but unfamiliar algebra?

Learning simple but unfamiliar algebra is important because it forms the foundation for more complex algebraic concepts. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are useful in many areas of life, including science, technology, and finance.

3. What are some examples of simple but unfamiliar algebra?

Examples of simple but unfamiliar algebra include solving equations with multiple variables, using the distributive property, and simplifying expressions with negative exponents. Other examples can include working with inequalities, factoring expressions, and graphing linear equations.

4. How can I improve my understanding of simple but unfamiliar algebra?

One way to improve your understanding of simple but unfamiliar algebra is to practice regularly. This can involve solving problems, working through examples, and reviewing concepts. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources such as videos and practice exercises.

5. Can simple but unfamiliar algebra be applied in real life?

Yes, simple but unfamiliar algebra can be applied in various real-life situations. For example, understanding algebraic concepts can help you manage your finances, make informed decisions about loans and investments, and solve real-world problems in fields such as engineering and physics. It can also help you think logically and approach complex tasks and challenges more efficiently.