1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Capacitor Problem making a Big Problem

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the two capacitors, in what way should you connect them to get the greatest potential difference over the whole construction?

2. Relevant equations
    More a concept question, no relevant equations (except definition C = Q/V)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay I know I'm supposed to think that if you connect "2" to "4" (or "1" to "3") you get a total potential difference of 5 + 5 = 10 V. But I'm having trouble truly seeing that they just add. When you connect "2" to "4", they're clearly on a different potential, and because it's a conductor, it'll want to go into electrostatic equilibrium and make the two connected pieces the same voltage, resulting in a shift of charges.

If you say "the uttermost left and uttermost right halves keep the charges in the middle where they are so they don't mix and change things", I understand, but still, then what is the deal with the (in this explanation non-existing) equipotential surface. So my clear question is: on one hand I understand that the capacitor-charge distribution (of each) doesn't change upon connection of "2" and "4", but on the other hand I don't understand, because there should be an equipotential surface (created) in between. What's the big picture?

I thank you,
    mr. vodka

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    Is it maybe that there IS a shift of charges to make it an equipotential surface, but that it's pretty much negligable? That does sound pretty qualitative and even vague...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook