1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple demonstration with real, rational and integers

1. Oct 6, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##\alpha \in \mathbb{R}## and ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. Show that exists a number ##m \in \mathbb{Z}## such that ##\alpha - \frac {m}{n} \leq \frac{1}{2n}## (1).

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I take ##\alpha= [\alpha] +(\alpha)## with ##[\alpha]=m## (=the integer part) and ##(\alpha)=\frac{1}{2n}##(=the fractional part) I must have an equality in (1). Substituting, I obtain ##m(n-1)=0## and for ##n=1## I can always find a solution to the problem. Is this demonstration correct? How can I find a more general one?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks to be it states: given any alpha & n, can you always find an m wich satisfies it. I don't think you choose alpha in advance.

4. Oct 6, 2017 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you've done there. The usual approach is to take the inequality ##\alpha -\frac{m}{n} \leq \frac{1}{2n}## and transform it until we get a condition on ##m##. That is ##m## on one side, the rest on the other. Now chose an ##m## which always satisfies this condition and write all steps from there on backwards to the condition you want to prove. Since ##\alpha## and ##n## are given, we only need a small enough or big enough ##m## to be chosen.

Long explanation short: Don't bother about the choice of ##m## as long as you don't know what it has to provide.

5. Oct 6, 2017 #4
    Thanks for the reply.
    So, rearranging I have ##m \geq \alpha n - \frac{1}{2}##.

Now I have to choose m. I tried different values of ##\alpha ,n## and it seems that the right choice of m is ## m=\lfloor{\alpha \cdot n}\rfloor## (=integer part).

6. Oct 6, 2017 #5

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Don't bother ##\alpha## and ##n##. They are given and cannot be chosen. Only ##m## is up to your choice. And don't try to estimate as close as possible, there is no need to do so. It won't be rewarded in this example. The situation is a different one, if you try to estimate numerical calculations or the length of algorithms, but here it isn't needed. I took ##m=\lceil \alpha \cdot n \rceil## so I saved an additional thought on what happens at exactly a difference of ##0.5##. You could even chose ##m=10\cdot |\alpha n|##, it won't matter here.

Anyway, it is correct. Now you have to write down ##m = \lceil \alpha n \rceil \geq \alpha n \geq \alpha n - \frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow \ldots ## and so on, until the last line is ##\alpha -\frac{m}{n} \leq \frac{1}{2n}\,##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted