1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple elementary question chiral molecule

1. Feb 10, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find if a molecule is chiral or not. It is 2-chloropentane

2. Relevant equations

IF the mirror image is superimposable to the molecule it is not chiral.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I wrote the structural formula in 2D and I thought it was not chiral.(bottom )
    But the book wrote a 3d image and concluded it is chiral.(top part of the image)
    How can I know, a priori, that the molecule is not in a plane?

http://imgur.com/a/32omH

OVifttW.png

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2017 #2

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The chiral carbon in this example is an sp3 carbon, which means that it adopts a tetrahedral geometry (so it's nonplanar). For simple chiral molecules like this, you can usually identify the stereocarbon as the carbon with 4 different substituents bonded to it. This doesn't always work: some chiral molecules are axially chiral rather than chiral at a single carbon (see the helicenes for an example), and some compounds may have multiple stereocenters arranged in a way that makes the overall compound achiral (see meso compounds for an example).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted