1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate persistence length of a single dsDNA molecule

Tags:
  1. Aug 30, 2014 #1

pen

Hello!

1. The problem statement and all variables

AIM: Calculating persistence length [itex]P[/itex] of a single dsDNA molecule from a data set of force [itex]F[/itex] (to the molecule) vs. extension [itex]x[/itex] measurements. Experimental background: pN forces were applied to a single dsDNA molecule spanned between two μm-beads using an optical tweezer.

PROBLEM: When I calculate [itex]P[/itex], I get values of about 2.9 nm, which is far below the expected value for [itex]P[/itex] of dsDNA, which is about 50nm.

2. Relevant equations

The calculation was done as follows: For a chosen force range the [itex]F[/itex]-data were converted to [itex]F^{-1/2} [/itex] and plotted vs. [itex]x[/itex]. The data points were fitted linearly.

According to an interpolation formula the extension [itex]x[/itex] of a worm like chain with contour length [itex]L_0[/itex] (Bustamante et al.,1994) is:

[itex]\frac{FP}{k_BT}=\frac{1}{4}(1−\frac{x}{L_0})−2−\frac{1}{4}+\frac{x}{L_0}[/itex],

applicable for a force range of ~5-15pN, where the molecule reveals a linear [itex]F-x[/itex] relationship (like a Hookean spring).

From that follows that the y-intercept of the straight line fitted to the data points is [itex]2\sqrt{\frac{P}{k_BT}}[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is (as I think) that the slope of the fitted straight line is too low. So I chose different force-ranges, as I thought, that the chosen force range might be wrong. But that didnt work. In the attachement of the thread "Calculate persistence length from force extension data of a single DNA" one can find the force curve and a [itex]F^{-1/2}-x[/itex] graph, plotted for a force range of 6-16pN, with the linear fit: slope of -1.5151, the y-intercept at 1.6931 and a calculated persistence length of 2.9455 nm

I really would appreciate some help

Pen

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2014 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I know approximately nothing about this subject, but the equation quoted relating F and x which I gather are your experimental parameters is linear so I don't understand how a square root could enter your calculation of an intercept. I wonder at a formula that contains 1/4 - 1/4.

4. Aug 31, 2014 #3

pen

Hello Epenguin!

Sorry, my mistake: it should be [itex] \big(1-\frac{x}{L_0}\Big)^{-2}[/itex] instead of [itex] \big(1-\frac{x}{L_0}\Big)[/itex] in the equation.

5. Aug 31, 2014 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Too much guessing needed now, maybe if you quoted the equation and showed the plot something might become apparent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted