Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple geometric series question

1. Jun 16, 2014 #1
    Take the case for the mean:

[tex]
    \bar{x} = \frac{1}{N} \Big( \sum_{i=1}^Ni \Big)
    [/tex]

If we simply use the formula for the sum of a geometric series, we get

[itex]\bar{x} = \frac{N}{2} (2a + (N - 1)d)[/itex]

where a and d both equal 1, so we simply get the result

[itex]\bar{x} = \frac{1}{2} (N + 1)[/itex]

What I've been trying to do is to get the same result by being more rigorous, in that I've attempted to expand the series, i.e.

[tex]
    \bar{x} = \frac{1}{N} (1 + 2 + 3 + ... + N)
    [/tex]

and replace the terms with the appropriate expressions using N, for example 1 and 2 would be N-(N-1) and N-(N-2) respectively, and so forth. Unfortunately I just keep going round in circles and never achieve the correct result.

Am I wasting my time? Or have I simply not seen the next step?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The idea is to not replace all the terms, but only have the terms. For example ##2## gets replaced by ##N - (N - 2)##, but we don't want to replace the later term ##N-2##. The terms will cancel out then.

4. Jun 16, 2014 #3

I think I understand, but just to be sure, could you clarify further please?

5. Jun 16, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Clarify what? What is unclear about my explanation? Just take your sum ##1+2+3+...+N## and replace the first half of the terms in the way you indicated and leave the other half.

6. Jun 16, 2014 #5
    I'm still eagerly awaiting the question about a geometric series! :tongue2:

7. Jun 16, 2014 #6
    Well I've already attempted what you've suggested, so it seems, though I cannot reach the final answer, as I've stated already.

I've tried going through the puzzle again and I sometimes obtain N/2 + 1, or N/2 as my final answer instead of (N+1)/2. I'm really confused as to where the +1 comes from. Somehow the final answer evades me.

8. Jun 16, 2014 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The idea is to do this:

[tex]1+2+3+4+5 = (5-4) + (5-3) + 3 + 4 + 5 = (5-4) + 4 + (5-3) + 3 + 5 = 5 + 5 + 5= 15[/tex]

9. Jun 17, 2014 #8
    This looks like an arithmetic sequence to me.

10. Jun 17, 2014 #9
    Well, as is usually the case, I left the problem yesterday evening and decided to sleep on it. This morning I woke up and solved it within a minute. Don't you just love it when you hit a wall and just jump over it the next time you look at a problem from a different angle?

Thanks to all who helped.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook