Simple latex notation question

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to write a divide bar in LaTeX that works with absolute values. Suggestions include using \frac, \quad, \qquad, \, \:, \;, or \div. The conversation also mentions that there is another option for writing a divide bar as x/y.
jeffreydk
Is there a symbol in latex for a divide bar that works with absolute values? The problem is for example if you want to write [itex] |a|[/itex] divides [itex] |b|[/itex]. It ends up looking horrible because you can't tell the difference between the abs value signs and the divide bar...

[tex]|a| \vert |b|[/tex]

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use \frac [tex] \frac{|a|}{|b|}[/tex] or if you want to do it the way you want with space use \quad or \qquad or more recommended is \, \: \; [tex] |a| \, \vert \, |b| =|a| \: \vert \: |b| = |a| \; \vert \; |b| = |a| \quad \vert \quad |b| =|a| \qquad \vert \qquad |b| [/tex] or \div [tex] |a| \div |b| [/tex]. Possibilities are endless really. I like \fraq personally, I find it more readable. I know there is also one that does like x/y but I never use it so I can't remember.

Hope this helps

Oh ok I see, that does help. Thanks.

1. What is simple latex notation?

Simple latex notation is a typesetting system commonly used in scientific and technical writing to format mathematical equations and symbols.

2. How do I use simple latex notation?

To use simple latex notation, you first need to download and install a latex editor such as Texmaker or Overleaf. Then, you can write your equations in latex code and compile them to generate a formatted output.

3. What are the advantages of using simple latex notation?

Simple latex notation allows for precise and professional-looking formatting of mathematical equations, making it easier to read and understand complex mathematical concepts. It also allows for easy modification and customization of equations.

4. Can I use simple latex notation in other types of documents?

Yes, simple latex notation can be used in various types of documents such as research papers, presentations, and even emails. It is particularly useful when writing equations or mathematical expressions.

5. Is simple latex notation difficult to learn?

While it may seem intimidating at first, with some practice and reference to a latex guide, the basic syntax of simple latex notation can be easily learned. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started.