Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Copying latex codes between PF and external Latex software

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I find it easier to compose derivations in offline latex software, which is TexMaker, and then post it to PF if I need to seek help or discuss something.

This works well except for in-line TeX:

TexMaker uses a 'commence inline TeX' code that is the same as the 'end inline TeX' code, which is just the dollar sign. Double dollars, which on PF denote a non-inline passage of TeX, don't work on TeXmaker.

PF uses the codes (open sq bracket)itex] and (open sq bracket)/itex] for inline code. These are 'asymmetric' between the begin and end code symbols whereas TexMaker has 'symmetric' symbols. TexMaker doesn't recognise the (open sq bracket)itex] approach and PF doesn't recognise the single-dollar approach.

This makes it messy to copy between TexMaker to PF becauise all codes for inline TeX have to be altered one by one. There is no global-replace that can be done.

Is there any code that PF's latex engine will recognise as both a 'start inline code' and 'end inline code' command?

Alternatively, does anybody know of any other 'asymmetric' commands for inline code that I could try in TexMaker. I have tried itex & /itex, latex & /latex & tex & /tex.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can use double # for inline TeX.
    And double $ for other TeX.

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Test inline ##{\Gamma^a}_{bc,d}## end of sentence.

Thank you mfb. That solves my problem and also makes it easier to write latex on PF, as double # is much quicker to type than (open sq bracket)itex] or (open sq bracket)/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook