Simple Moment of Inertia and uniform bar problem

In summary, we are tasked with finding the moment of inertia for a uniform bar with two small balls attached to its ends. The bar is 2.00 m long with a mass of 4.00 kg, and the balls each have a mass of 0.500 kg. We are asked to find the moment of inertia about different axes: (a) an axis perpendicular to the bar through its center, (b) an axis perpendicular to the bar through one of its balls, (c) an axis parallel to the bar through both balls, and (d) an axis parallel to the bar and 0.500 m from it.To find the moment of inertia for part (a), we can use the equation I =
GoldShadow
Problem reads:
"A uniform bar has two small balls glued to its ends. The bar is 2.00 m long and has mass 4.00 kg, while the balls each have mass 0.500 kg and can be treated as point masses. Find the moment of inertia of this combination about each of the following axes:
(a) an axis perpendicular to the bar through its center; (b) an axis perpendicular to the bard through one of its balls; (c) an axis parallel to the bar through both balls; (d) an axis parallel to the bar and 0.500m from it.

Homework Equations

[tex]I=\sum m_{i}r^{2}_{i}[/tex]
[tex]I_{P}=I_{CM}+Md^{2}[/tex]

Moment of inertia for a slender rod, axis through center: [tex]I=\frac{1}{12}ML^{2}[/tex]
Moment of inertia for a slender rod, axis through one end: [tex]I=\frac{1}{3}ML^{2}[/tex]a) To find total moment of inertia, I used the equation [tex]I=\frac{1}{12}ML^{2}+2m(\frac{L}{2})^{2}[/tex], where "m" is the mass of one ball, "M" is the mass of the rod and "L" is the total length of the rod: [tex]I=\frac{1}{12}(4.00kg)(2.00m)^{2}+2(.500kg)(\frac{2.00m}{2})^{2}=2.33 kgm^{2}[/tex]

b) For this part I used [tex]I=\frac{1}{3}ML^{2}+mL^{2}[/tex], since one ball is on the axis of rotation and does not contribute to the moment of inertia. The answer I got:
[tex]I=\frac{1}{3}(4.00kg)(2.00m)^{2}+(.500kg)(2.00m)^{2}=7.33 kgm^{2}[/tex]

c) Zero, since the rod/balls are not given a radius; their distance from the axis of rotation is zero.

d) Using the parallel-axis equation, [tex]I_{P}=I_{CM}+Md^{2}[/tex], I had 0 for [tex]I_{CM}[/tex] as found in part C, 5.00 kg for "M" (total mass of rod and balls... or do I add each separately?) and .500m for "d" as given in the problem. My equation/answer:
[tex]I_{P}=(0)+(5.00kg)(0.500m)^{2}=1.25 kgm^{2}[/tex]
The answers in the back of my textbook are not only incomplete, they seem incorrect and I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

EDIT: I don't think I'm actually supposed to use the "parallel axis" equation in this problem on second look, so I'm positive I did part D wrong... but I'm still not entirely sure about parts a-c.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers look right to me (including d)... what are the answers in the back of the book?

The book says (a) is 0.0640, (b) is 0.0320, (c) is 0.0320 (all in kg m^2), and it doesn't give an answer for (d).

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measurement of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a simple uniform bar?

The moment of inertia for a simple uniform bar can be calculated by using the formula I = (1/12) * M * L^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the bar, and L is the length of the bar.

3. Why is the moment of inertia important in physics?

The moment of inertia is important in physics because it helps us understand how objects behave when they are rotating. It is used in calculations involving rotational motion, such as calculating the torque needed to rotate an object or the angular acceleration of an object.

4. How does the moment of inertia change if the mass of the object is increased?

If the mass of an object is increased, the moment of inertia also increases. This is because the object has more mass and therefore more resistance to rotational motion.

5. Can the moment of inertia be negative?

No, the moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. Negative values do not make physical sense in this context.