Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple pitot tube experiment

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    Dear all,

I have a simple experiment to make a cheap pitot tube using 3" PVC pipe to measure vacuum pump air flow. But in the middle of my experiment I have difficulty to calculate air flow in the pipe, because I try to use bernouli equation for standard pitot tube and the result still not same with pump factory refference.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20251&stc=1&d=1251296891.jpg

May some body help me?

Rgrds,

Yessiko

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2
    Is your pitot tube reading high? There may be an entrance loss on your pitot tube that causes the deviatiation from ideal Bernouli flow.

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Make sure your pitot tube is well aligned with the inlet air flow. Also, chamfer the inlet with a 30° chamfer. This will help with the probe being less sensitive to yaw errors.

5. Aug 27, 2009 #4

Attached Files:

6. Aug 27, 2009 #5
    Interesting setup. It will be impossible to help you without seeing your actual calculation. I'm guessing you have a unit wrong somewhere.

7. Aug 27, 2009 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The pictures are too small to tell anything.

8. Jan 14, 2010 #7
    Hello
    I am undergoing a similar experiment at university and I am making an L shaped simple pitot tube (not pitot static tube). Are there any limits on the dimensions? Such as the ratio of the lenght of the base to the diameter of the tube? I have done research but cannot seem to find anywhere that says anything about that for a simple pitot tube. For a pitot static tube the ratio of 'the distance from the static holes to the 90 degree bend' to the 'diameter of the tube' is best being around 12. But for a simple pitot tube, are there any such limitations?

L shaped simple pitot tube:

|
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    '--------
    \______/
    ^
    Base

9. Jan 14, 2010 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It depends on the flow velocities but a good rule of thumb is to make the base length at least 4 times the tube OD.

10. Jan 14, 2010 #9
    because atmospheric pressure is the pump, not the vacumn, I would think you should need to correct for air density variations real time. A set of "runs" will be relatively meaningless without enviromental conditions being recorded

dr

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook