Simple problem, but confused with acceleration of gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations to find the greatest height reached by a brick that is being hoisted up at a constant speed before the rope breaks. The conversation also touches on the use of positive and negative signs to represent the direction of motion and acceleration, as well as the conventions for up and down. Ultimately, it is determined that using the equation v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(x2-x1) is the most efficient way to find the maximum height in this scenario.
mizzy

Homework Statement

A silo is under construction and a large brick is being hoisted up at a constant speed of 3.2m/s. The rope breaks when the brick is at a height of 28m above the ground.

a) find the greatest height reached by the brick.

Homework Equations

i know which equation to use:

v^2 = vo^2 = 2a(x2-x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

At the greatest height, i know final velocity will be zero.

in the solution, a is negative. this is where i get confused...i thought a is negative therefore slowing down, but is a negative because it's going down?

Physics news on Phys.org
mizzy said:
v^2 = vo^2 = 2a(x2-x1)
That should be a plus sign:
v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(x2-x1)

in the solution, a is negative. this is where i get confused...i thought a is negative therefore slowing down, but is a negative because it's going down?
Gravity acts down. If you use the standard convention of up = positive, then a will be negative. If something is moving upward, it will slow down; if something is moving downward, it will speed up. (When the signs--which indicate the direction--of v and a are the same, the object is speeding up; when the signs are opposite, it's slowing down.)

Doc Al said:
That should be a plus sign:
v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(x2-x1)

Gravity acts down. If you use the standard convention of up = positive, then a will be negative. If something is moving upward, it will slow down; if something is moving downward, it will speed up. (When the signs--which indicate the direction--of v and a are the same, the object is speeding up; when the signs are opposite, it's slowing down.)

ok, i tried using that convention, but i get the wrong answer. Going up i used a positive 'a' and if it's falling down, i use a negative 'a'

For example for this question, i got it wrong =(

A projectile is launched straight up at 60.0m/s from a height of 80m at the edge of a cliff. The projectile falls, just missing the cliff and hitting the ground below. Find a) max height of the projectile above the point of firing.

In order to find the max height, i calculated the time it took to get to the max height, where v = 0. this is what i did:

v = vo +at
0 = 60 + 9.8t
t = -9.18s

then i solved for the max height using the equation: y = voyt + 1/2at^2

is that correct??

you have a negative time there !

Remember that the way we have it set up the acceleration is negative

[tex]v = v_{0} + at[/tex]
[tex]0 = 60 -gt[/tex]
[tex]-60 = -gt[/tex]
[tex]60 = gt[/tex]
[tex]t = 60/g[/tex]

mizzy said:
ok, i tried using that convention, but i get the wrong answer. Going up i used a positive 'a' and if it's falling down, i use a negative 'a'
No, that's not the convention. 'a' is always down, regardless of whether something is moving up or down. Whether you call up positive depends on your convention--you can always choose up as positive, which makes 'a' negative (for free fall type problems).

For example for this question, i got it wrong =(

A projectile is launched straight up at 60.0m/s from a height of 80m at the edge of a cliff. The projectile falls, just missing the cliff and hitting the ground below. Find a) max height of the projectile above the point of firing.

In order to find the max height, i calculated the time it took to get to the max height, where v = 0. this is what i did:

v = vo +at
0 = 60 + 9.8t
t = -9.18s
No. Using the convention, the initial velocity would be + 60 m/s (since it's going up) and the acceleration would be -9.8 m/s^2 (since gravity acts down).

When you get a negative time, that's a clue that something went wrong!

then i solved for the max height using the equation: y = voyt + 1/2at^2

is that correct??
Nothing wrong with that approach, once you have the correct signs.

But why didn't you just use the equation you gave before? Namely:
v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(x2-x1)

That would give you the answer in one step. Give that equation a try and you can compare answers.

What is acceleration of gravity?

Acceleration of gravity, also known as gravitational acceleration, is the acceleration experienced by an object due to the force of gravity. It is a constant value that is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

How is acceleration of gravity calculated?

The acceleration of gravity can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the object. On Earth, the force of gravity is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the gravitational constant, which is 9.8 m/s^2.

What factors affect the acceleration of gravity?

The acceleration of gravity is primarily affected by the mass and distance between two objects. The larger the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. The farther apart two objects are, the weaker the gravitational pull between them will be.

Why is the acceleration of gravity considered a constant value?

The acceleration of gravity is considered a constant value because it does not change significantly, regardless of the mass or size of the object. It is also independent of the object's velocity or direction of motion.

How does the acceleration of gravity differ on other planets?

The acceleration of gravity differs on other planets due to variations in their mass and size. For example, the acceleration of gravity on Mars is approximately 3.7 m/s^2, while on Jupiter it is about 24.8 m/s^2. This is because these planets have different mass and size compared to Earth.