Simple Proof of Beal's Conjecture

In summary, Beal's conjecture states that if A^x + B^y = C^z where A, B, C, x, y and z are positive integers and x, y and z are all greater than 2, then A, B, and C must have a common prime factor. This is supported by multiple examples of primitive Pythagorean triples, where the integers do not have a common prime factor. The simple proof of Beal's conjecture states that each term in the equation A^x + B^y = C^z can be broken down into the product of its prime factors, and thus can be rewritten as P(Q + R), where P, Q, and R are positive integers.
MrAwojobi
SIMPLE PROOF OF BEAL’S CONJECTURE
(THE $100 000 PRIZE ANSWER)
Beal’s Conjecture
Beal’s conjecture states that if A^x + B^y = C^z where A, B, C, x, y and z are positive integers and x, y and z are all greater than 2, then A, B and C must have a common prime factor.

Examples

......Common Prime Factor
2^3 + 2^3 = 2^4 => 2
2^9 + 8^3 = 4^5 => 2
3^3 + 6^3 = 3^5 => 3
3^9 + 54^3 = 3^11 => 3
27^4 + 162^3 = 9^7 => 3
7^6 + 7^7 = 98^3 => 7
33^5 + 66^5 = 33^6 => 11
34^5 + 51^4 = 85^4 => 17
19^4 + 38^3 = 57^3 => 19

Primitive Pythagorean Triples

A primitive Pythagorean triple is one in which the integer lengths of the right angled triangle do not have a common prime factor. Examples are….

( 3 , 4 , 5 ) ( 5, 12, 13) ( 7, 24, 25) ( 8, 15, 17)
( 9, 40, 41) (11, 60, 61) (12, 35, 37) (13, 84, 85)
(16, 63, 65) (20, 21, 29) (28, 45, 53) (33, 56, 65)
(36, 77, 85) (39, 80, 89) (48, 55, 73) (65, 72, 97)

Hence the reason why x, y and z in Beal’s conjecture equation have to be greater than 2. For the purpose of the proof of Beal’s conjecture, the author wants to stress right from the onset that the equation of Pythagoras theorem is an entirely different type of equation to Beal’s equation even though they look similar. It should therefore not be surprising that it has to be exempt from Beal’s equation. The difference between these 2 equations is simply due to the fact that A^2 + B^2 = C^2 can be rewritten as A^2 = (C+B)(C-B), i.e. A^2 is a product of 2 numbers i.e. it can be factorised. A^x + B^y = C^z cannot be factorised hence the big difference between the 2 equations.

Simple Proof

It should be clear that each term in the equation A^x + B^y = C^z can be broken down into the product of its prime factors. Thus the equation could be rewritten as
abcde + fghij = klmno for instance, where a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o are prime . It isn’t difficult to see that the only way for

the 1st product + the 2nd product = the 3rd product

is if and only if the left hand side of the equation can be factorised. This will therefore guarantee that A,B and C share a common prime factor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your statements about factorization are vague and mostly untrue. For instance, for any positive a,b,c and any integer n>1, a^n+b^n=c^n can be written as a^n=c^n-b^n=(c-b)(c^(n-1)+c^(n-2)b+...+cb^(n-1)+b^(n-1))

The logic you employ in the "proof" doesn't seem to use anything specific about exponents being greater than 2; what I'm trying to say is, if your argument were valid, it would say "since neither 2 nor 3 is divisible by 5, 2+3 cannot be divisible by 5."

Hi viwers

I think I have to concede that my proof is not water tight based on an issue.
Since a^3 + b^3 and a^3 - b^3 also factorise in a unique way just like Pythagoras theorem equation factorises in its own unique way, then counter examples to Beal's conjecture could be searched for based on these. However, if one can show that the above equations will still yield to the Beal's conjecture then I think my proof should still stand unless maybe there are other unique factorisations of A^x + B^y or C^z - B^y.

Hi all, I have slightly altered my proof and I actually believe it is correct. Please before criticising it, read it carefully first.

Beal’s Conjecture
Beal’s conjecture states that if A^x + B^y = C^z where A, B, C, x, y and z are positive integers and x, y and z are all greater than 2, then A, B and C must have a common prime factor.

Examples

2^3 + 2^3 = 2^4 => 2
2^9 + 8^3 = 4^5 => 2
3^3 + 6^3 = 3^5 => 3
3^9 + 54^3 = 3^11 => 3
27^4 + 162^3 = 9^7 => 3
7^6 + 7^7 = 98^3 => 7
33^5 + 66^5 = 33^6 => 11
34^5 + 51^4 = 85^4 => 17
19^4 + 38^3 = 57^3 => 19

A primitive Pythagorean triple is one in which the integer lengths of the right angled triangle do not have a common prime factor. Examples are….

Hence the reason why x, y and z in Beal’s conjecture equation have to be greater than 2.

Simple Proof

It should be clear that each term in the equation A^x + B^y = C^z can be broken down into the product of its prime factors after numbers have been substituted into it. Thus the equation could be rewritten as abcde + fghij = klmno for instance, where a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o are prime . It isn’t difficult to see that
if and only if the left hand side of the equation can be factorised, i.e. rewritten in the form P(Q + R) where P,Q and R are positive integers. This will therefore guarantee that A, B and C share a common prime factor.

If you are given the equation A^x+B^y=C^z, and P is any prime dividing C, then yes, P divides A^x+B^y, as you state, but that does not automatically imply that P divides both A and B; once again, consider the case x=y=z=1 and A=2,B=3,C=5. Nowhere in your proof do you use the fact that x,y,z>2; this should raise a red flag since the statement is not true without that assumption.

Another red flag: note that Beal's Conjecture generalizes Fermat's Last Theorem, which was proved in over 100 pages 358 years after it was first conjectured. Odds are any proof of Beal's Conjecture not using Fermat's Last Theorem will be longer than a paragraph.

Hi all, I have added an equation to the revised proof to show why the Pythagorean triples
don't obey Beal's equation.

Beal’s Conjecture

Examples

2^3 + 2^3 = 2^4 => 2
2^9 + 8^3 = 4^5 => 2
3^3 + 6^3 = 3^5 => 3
3^9 + 54^3 = 3^11 => 3
27^4 + 162^3 = 9^7 => 3
7^6 + 7^7 = 98^3 => 7
33^5 + 66^5 = 33^6 => 11
34^5 + 51^4 = 85^4 => 17
19^4 + 38^3 = 57^3 => 19

Hence the reason why x, y and z in Beal’s conjecture equation have to be greater than 2.
The triples don't obey Beal's equation because they factorise in a unique way i.e.
A^2+B^2=C^2 can be rewritten as A^2=(C+B)(C-B).

Simple Proof

It should be clear that each term in the equation A^x + B^y = C^z can be broken down into the product of its prime factors after numbers have been substituted into it. Thus the equation could be rewritten as abcde + fghij = klmno for instance, where a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o are prime . It isn’t difficult to see that
if and only if the left hand side of the equation can be factorised, i.e. rewritten in the form P(Q + R) where P,Q and R are positive integers. This will therefore guarantee that A, B and C share a common prime factor.

This is not a proof. It contains several errors/gaps in logic, which when removed/corrected, leave it, at best, a restatement of the conjecture.

JCVD

This is not a criticism. It contains no highlights of the so called several errors/gaps in logic, which when removed/corrected, leave it, at best, a restatement of the conjecture.

1. What is Beal's Conjecture?

Beal's Conjecture is a mathematical conjecture proposed by Andrew Beal in 1993. It states that for any positive integers a, b, and c, if ax + by = cz where x, y, and z are all greater than 2, then a, b, and c must have a common prime factor.

2. What is a simple proof of Beal's Conjecture?

A simple proof of Beal's Conjecture has not yet been found. However, in 2015, mathematician James Maynard proved a weaker version of the conjecture, known as the "bounded version" of Beal's Conjecture. This proof states that for any positive integers a, b, and c, if ax + by = cz where x, y, and z are all less than a certain bound, then a, b, and c must have a common prime factor.

3. Why is Beal's Conjecture important?

Beal's Conjecture has captured the interest of mathematicians because it is related to other famous unsolved problems in number theory, such as Fermat's Last Theorem and the abc conjecture. A proof of Beal's Conjecture could potentially lead to new insights and solutions for these other problems.

4. What progress has been made towards proving Beal's Conjecture?

In addition to James Maynard's proof of the bounded version of Beal's Conjecture, other mathematicians have also made progress towards proving the conjecture. In 2016, mathematician Jordan Ellenberg proved that a counterexample to the conjecture would have to be extremely large, making it less likely that one exists.

5. Are there any rewards for proving Beal's Conjecture?

Currently, there are no official rewards for proving Beal's Conjecture. However, a prize of $1 million has been offered by Andrew Beal for a proof or counterexample to the conjecture. Additionally, a proof of Beal's Conjecture could have significant implications and potential rewards for the field of mathematics.