Simple Q about direct product representation of a group

In summary, the direct product representation of a group is a mathematical concept that combines two or more groups to form a new group. It is written using the symbol "x" or "\times" between the groups and allows for the study of individual group properties and their combined action on a single set. The direct product representation is closely related to the concept of subgroups and can be applied to various types of groups.
AxiomOfChoice
(At least, I think it's simple.)

Disclaimer: I'm approaching this subject from the vantage point of a chemist, so be careful with how much lingo/jargon/rigor you lay on me :redface:

The claim is that if you have two representations of a group, [itex]\Gamma_1[/itex] and [itex]\Gamma_2[/itex], with bases [itex]\{ f_i \}[/itex] and [itex]\{ g_j \}[/itex], then the set of products [itex]\{f_i g_j\}[/itex] is a basis for the direct product representation. Fine. But in the process of showing this, the following assertion is made: If [itex]\hat R[/itex] is an element of the group, then

[tex]
\hat R(f_i g_j) = \hat R(f_i) \hat R(g_j).
[/tex]

...huh? How does that work? How do I know that if I apply a group operation to a product of basis elements, then it's just the product of the operation applied to the individual basis elements? I missed something there, because (a priori) that move is just as suspect as saying that [itex]x(yz) = (xy)(xz) = x^2yz[/itex] for [itex]x,y,z\in \mathbb R[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
AxiomOfChoice said:
(At least, I think it's simple.)

Disclaimer: I'm approaching this subject from the vantage point of a chemist, so be careful with how much lingo/jargon/rigor you lay on me :redface:

The claim is that if you have two representations of a group, [itex]\Gamma_1[/itex] and [itex]\Gamma_2[/itex], with bases [itex]\{ f_i \}[/itex] and [itex]\{ g_j \}[/itex], then the set of products [itex]\{f_i g_j\}[/itex] is a basis for the direct product representation. Fine. But in the process of showing this, the following assertion is made: If [itex]\hat R[/itex] is an element of the group, then

[tex]
\hat R(f_i g_j) = \hat R(f_i) \hat R(g_j).
[/tex]

...huh? How does that work? How do I know that if I apply a group operation to a product of basis elements, then it's just the product of the operation applied to the individual basis elements? I missed something there, because (a priori) that move is just as suspect as saying that [itex]x(yz) = (xy)(xz) = x^2yz[/itex] for [itex]x,y,z\in \mathbb R[/itex].

If each representation is thought of a a set of matrices then the product representation is just the matrices of each representation joined into a diagonal block. Multiplication preserves these blocks.

1. What is the direct product representation of a group?

The direct product representation of a group is a mathematical concept that involves combining two or more groups to form a new group. It represents the simultaneous action of the individual groups on a single set.

2. How is the direct product representation of a group written?

The direct product representation of a group is written using the symbol "x" or "\times" between the groups. For example, if we have two groups A and B, the direct product representation would be written as A x B or A \times B.

3. What is the significance of the direct product representation of a group?

The direct product representation of a group allows us to study the properties of the individual groups and their combined action on a single set. It also helps in understanding the relationship between different groups and their structures.

4. How does the direct product representation of a group relate to the concept of subgroups?

The direct product representation of a group is closely related to the concept of subgroups. Every subgroup of a direct product group can be written as a direct product of subgroups of the individual groups. This allows us to study the structure of subgroups in a simpler way.

5. What are some examples of direct product representation of groups?

Some examples of direct product representation of groups include the direct product of cyclic groups, the direct product of symmetric groups, and the direct product of matrix groups. These examples show how the direct product representation can be applied to different types of groups.