Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Validity of Direct Product Structure of Symmetry Group

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    In short, if we consider the group of symmetries of a regular octahedron, we see (or at least, the author of "Groups, Graphs and Trees" saw...) that the group is isomoprhic to Z2[tex]\otimes[/tex]Z2[tex]\otimes[/tex]Z2[tex]\otimes[/tex]S3 - particularly since if we break up the vertices into 3 groups of front-back, top-bottom and left-right we get the first three factors and the second factor is obtained by further permutation. But my question is how does an element of a direct product act on an element of a graph? If we take a vertex v in the graph, since all symmetries commute here, if we apply a symmetry h in the direct product to v, we are thus applying 4 symmetries each in one of the factors of the direct product. So is the vertex taken to "coordinates" of whatever the direct product indicates similar to the way we consider 3 dimensional coordinates as in if we have the coordinates (1,2,3) we could move 2 in the y direction then 1 in the x and 3 in the z or 3 in the z direction THEN 2 in the y then 1 in the x etc. and thus the same process for the location of the vertex v after h is applied. Thanks in advance for your help - I know I probably rambled a bit...

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted