Simple Summations Help: Solving 6n+8 with Index i=4

• Thread starter theintarnets
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with summations and a lack of resources to solve it. The problem involves a summation indexed by 'i' and a summand using 'n'. The speaker also mentions trying to separate and pull out constants, but is unsure about using 1 or 4 as the new constant. The conversation ends with a question about modifying a sum starting at 1 to start at 4.
theintarnets
I forgot how to do summations... I've been googling all day, but I can't find resources good enough for the types of problems I have. If anyone can provide me with some resources, I'd really appreciate it.

Homework Statement

Ʃ6n+8
i=4

I'm just going to call that S

Homework Equations

Ʃ of i = 1 to n is n(n+1)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I can separate the two terms:
S6n + S8

And then pull the constants out?
6n*S1 + 8S1

But can I use 1 as the new constant or do I have to use 4 since that is the index? Do I just multiply 4 by 10087? Or 1 by 10087 and then subtract... something? I don't know, the index of 4 is really throwing me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear what you are trying to sum.

The summation you have is indexed by 'i', but the summand uses 'n'. Is there some relationship between 'i' and 'n' which you have not posted?

If you have a formula for a sum which goes from 'i' to 'n', how would you use that formula if 'i' starts at 4?
Hint: write out the terms of a sum which starts at 1 and goes through say i = 5. How would you modify the sum so that the first term is for i = 4?

I know that there's no relationship between i and n, which is why I'm so lost. If I was using i, and it started at 4, would I just subtract the sum of 1 to 3?

Of course.

1. What is a simple summation?

A simple summation is a mathematical operation that involves adding together a series of numbers. It is represented by the symbol "∑" and is commonly used in statistics and calculus.

2. How do I calculate a simple summation?

To calculate a simple summation, you need to add together all the numbers in the given series. For example, if the series is 1, 2, 3, 4, the summation would be 1+2+3+4 = 10.

3. What is the purpose of using a simple summation?

A simple summation allows us to quickly find the sum of a large set of numbers without having to add them individually. It is also used to calculate averages, probabilities, and other important values in mathematics and statistics.

4. What are some common formulas involving simple summations?

Some common formulas that involve simple summations include the arithmetic mean formula, the standard deviation formula, and the geometric series formula.

5. Are there any tips for simplifying a complex simple summation?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help simplify a complex simple summation. These include using properties of summations, breaking the summation into smaller parts, and using mathematical identities such as the binomial theorem.