1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Taylor or Multipole Expansion of Potential

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    Hullo,

Somehow, I couldn't get the TeX to come out right.

I have been trying to learn scheme theory (algebraic geometry) and completely forgotten how to do this simple calculus type stuff...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let V be a potential of the form

[tex]V = \left(\frac{1}{r} + \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} - \left(\vec{r_{1}} - vec{r_{2}}\right)\right|} - \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} + \vec{r_{2}}\right|} - \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} - \vec{r_{1}}\right|} \right)[\tex]

where r = [tex]\left|\vec{r}\right|[\tex].

For large r >> 1 I am supposed to expand in powers of [tex]\frac{\vec{r_{i}}}{r}[\tex] to obtain the expression
    [tex] V \sim \frac{1}{r^3}\left(x_{1}x_{2} + y_{1}y_{2} - 2z_{1}z_{2} \right)[\tex] where higher order terms have been neglected.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the expansion [tex]\left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} + \vec{r'}\right|} = \frac{1}{r} + \frac{\vec{r}\vec{r'}}{r^3}[\tex] + terms of higher order, but somehow end up with V = 0 (up to order [tex]r^-3[\tex]. I have completely forgotten how to do this...

Would be thankful for any help...

Greetings from Germany,

bavaji

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2008 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

While you do use "backslashes" for the special TeX characters, you need to terminate the TeX command with regular "slash" [ / tex ]:

[tex]V = \left(\frac{1}{r} + \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} - \left(\vec{r_{1}} - vec{r_{2}}\right)\right|} - \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} + \vec{r_{2}}\right|} - \left(\frac{1}{\left|\vec{r} - \vec{r_{1}}\right|} \right)[/tex]

It looks like the expression may be missing something...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?