1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying Algebra with power to a half

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3b^1/2 x 4b^0 / 6b^1/2

3. The attempt at a solution[/b]

All the solutions i keep getting do not equal the answer which is 2b^-1 = 2/b.

I am not sure what i am supposed to minus from the first side and put on the second side of the equation?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2
    I think you've made an error in your equation. What is it supposed to equal?

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    it doesnt equal anything

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4
    That is the only question i was given

6. Mar 29, 2012 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It's not referred to as an "equation" because it doesn't contain an equals sign. It's an expression.

You won't "minus" anything because there are no terms here that have been "added". Because this expression contains only multiplication and division, you will probably perform only division and multiplication to simplify it.

It does not simplify to the answer you hoped, so maybe you have copied it wrongly?
    Can you rewrite this so that it's a long horizontal line with some terms above that line, and some below the line? That might help you see how to simplify it.

3√b · 4b° ÷ (6√b) =

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook