Simplifying the derivative of f(x)=2√(x²+1)/(x-1)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Emethyst
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Emethyst
Messages
117
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Sketch the graph of the function f(x)=(2(x^2+1)^1/2)/(x-1)


Homework Equations


All the derivative simplification rules



The Attempt at a Solution


The only part of the question I need help with here is finding the derivative of this function. In my book it says the derivative is f'(x)=(-3(x+1))/((x-1)^2(x^2+1)^1/2), but all I can get is f'(x)=(2x(x-1)-2(x^2+1)^1/2)/((x-1)^2(x^2+1)^1/2). I don't know how to go about simplifying this any further. Any help on this would be greatly appreicated, as I have a similar question like this in my homework questions. Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Either the book is wrong or you have a typo, as the 3 should be a 2. The derivative is
[tex]f'(x) = \frac{-2(x+1)}{(x-1)^2 \sqrt{x^2+1}}[/tex]

It looks like you did the derivative correctly, except that the first 1/2 you encounter when reading your solution should be a 1. This comes from when you found the common denominator, and you will be able to further simplify the derivative after this change.