Finding the Maximum Value of f(x)=x(1-x)^n in [0,1]: A Calculus Problem

  • Thread starter Thread starter help
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Differentiate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
help
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
help with my work
Relevant Equations
derivative and integral
Hello, good afternoon guys. I need a little help from you: D

1)n a positive integer.
f(x)=x(1-x)^n
Solve the equation f'(x)=0 in 0<x<1

this question I asked and found x = 1 / (x + 1) ok

2)An be the maximum value of f(x)=x(1-x)^n in [0,1]
Calculate lim (n+1)an
n tending to infinity

the maximum value would not be making the derivative equal to zero? would it be x = 1? I did not understand
1.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
help said:
Homework Statement:: help with my work
Relevant Equations:: derivative and integral

Hello, good afternoon guys. I need a little help from you: D

1)n a positive integer.
f(x)=x(1-x)^n
Solve the equation f'(x)=0 in 0<x<1

this question I asked and found x = 1 / (x + 1) ok

2)An be the maximum value of f(x)=x(1-x)^n in [0,1]
Calculate lim (n+1)an
n tending to infinity

the maximum value would not be making the derivative equal to zero? would it be x = 1? I did not understand View attachment 264068
You did not do the first part correctly.

What is the derivative f'(x)?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2 and member 587159
Help, you could use the product rule, then set it equal to zero.
 
help said:
Homework Statement:: help with my work
Relevant Equations:: derivative and integral

the maximum value would not be making the derivative equal to zero? would it be x = 1? I did not understand
The maximum value might be attained at a critical point or at the endpoints of the closed interval.

Try plotting the function for a few values of ##n## to get an idea of what you should get.