Simulation debugging for Apollo Lunar Landing

In summary, the conversation discusses an individual's attempt to use a simulator to mimic the conditions of the Apollo landing, but is struggling to successfully land the spacecraft. They reference various sources, including a NASA program and mission parameters, to try and find the correct descent procedure. The conversation also touches on the weight of the Eagle spacecraft and how it may have affected the landing.
darkdave3000
TL;DR Summary
What am I doing wrong?
My simulator is trying to mimick the actual conditions of the Apollo landing. I have entered in numbers for my runge kutta simulator for LEM mass, dry mass, fuel, thrust of the rockets, fuel burn rate per second etc etc. But I am not able to land, only very close to landing. I copied the conditions from this source:

https://blog.adacore.com/make-with-ada-the-eagle-has-landed

So the LEM starts off at 15 km altitude (50,000 ft) at 1.6km/s speed. But I only seem to barely have enough delta V from the onboard DPS fuel. What am I doing wrong?

2nd failed attempt

1st failed attempt assuming 100km orbit

Does anyone know the ground distance to Tranquility Base before the Eagle started de-orbiting from it's 15km altitude?Important note: This simulator has time acceleration so don't get confused why it sometimes fast forwards while deorbiting.

David

[Mentor Note -- personal website URL deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

I suppose it's possible my simulator is fine and it's just my piloting skills, but can anyone use their sources to tell me the correct descent procedure? I cannot find it on the internet. I want to know the ground distance to target landing area from initial de-orbit burn from 50,000ft.Anyone know Buzz Aldrin?UPDATE:

FINALY DID IT! Is this how it was done?David

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith
As you've seen, landing a spacecraft is very, very hard, especially when you don't know the optimal parameters for burn times, directions, etc. A sub-optimal set of burns can look reasonably good when you're just eyeballing it, but can waste a significant amount of fuel and leave you with a disassembled spacecraft on the surface.

Even with my 1000-2000 hours of playtime on Kerbal Space Program I still hesitate to give you advice on how to make your burns more optimal.

darkdave3000 said:
But I only seem to barely have enough delta V from the onboard DPS fuel.
You're burn(s) aren't optimal. That's all. The LEM really did have just barely enough fuel to get down to the surface.

I don't have the hard numbers (and it is after midnight) but the principle used for the Apollo landings where not that complicated in principle, just do a launch in reverse.

Do you know how to do a a launch using a gravity turn and circularization? The landing is pretty much the same reversed except that you need a bit of margin around the landing and the mass of the spacecraft is highest in orbit and the lowest on the surface instead of the other way around which messes with the acceleration curve.

Without adding any margin it becomes.
1. De-circularize so that your perilune is round about (depends on the details) the surface. How you do this will determine where you land.
2. Start braking at the correct (last possible) time and follow the retrograde vector until you become stationary just above your landing site.
3. Touch down.

And yes, getting both 1 and 2 correct so you land efficiently where you intended is very tricky.

Lander, the NASA program that did the calculations.
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19890005786

• Informative
Likes hutchphd
Thanks for these replies to everyone, but what was the ground distance between deorbit burn and landing?

What were the mission parameters?David

Tom.G said:
"At 6:55:42 p.m. Dec. 11, the LM was placed into an orbit with a perilune altitude of 6.2 nautical miles. Approximately 47 minutes later, the powered descent to the lunar surface began. Landing occurred at 7:54:57 p.m. Dec. 11,..."

Plenty of details in the rest of the article.

Above from:
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/missions/apollo17.html

(above found with:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=apollo+landing+altitude+deorbit)

Cheers,
Tom
Doesn't have the data I want, altitude when powered descent started and distance to landing site at that point. Not enough data to even extrapolate the points of data I want.

Tom.G said:
"At 6:55:42 p.m. Dec. 11, the LM was placed into an orbit with a perilune altitude of 6.2 nautical miles. Approximately 47 minutes later, the powered descent to the lunar surface began. Landing occurred at 7:54:57 p.m. Dec. 11,..."

Plenty of details in the rest of the article.

Above from:
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/missions/apollo17.html

(above found with:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=apollo+landing+altitude+deorbit)

Cheers,
Tom
Doesn't have the data I want, altitude when powered descent started and distance to landing site at that point. Not enough data to even extrapolate the points of data I want.

darkdave3000 said:
websterling's link has this info on page 3. The ground distance from PDI to landing is approximately 260 nautical miles and the altitude at PDI is approximately 50,000 ft. Detailed information on the thrust settings, spacecraft attitude, etc starts on page 7.

Drakkith said:
websterling's link has this info on page 3. The ground distance from PDI to landing is approximately 260 nautical miles and the altitude at PDI is approximately 50,000 ft. Detailed information on the thrust settings, spacecraft attitude, etc starts on page 7.
Hey thanks for this! Was the Eagle (Apollo 11) at full MTOW? I tried landing the Eagle at 15200kg and at this weight with the rocket firing constantly I overshot 260 nautical miles (400km). Was the Eagle lighter than 15.2 tons?

darkdave3000 said:
Hey thanks for this! Was the Eagle (Apollo 11) at full MTOW? I tried landing the Eagle at 15200kg and at this weight with the rocket firing constantly I overshot 260 nautical miles (400km). Was the Eagle lighter than 15.2 tons?
Wikipedia says it was 15,102 kg launch mass, but I can't guarantee that's accurate. Your last video shows a mass of over 22,000 kg, so that might be a big reason why you were just barely able to land with 8100 kg of fuel.

How far did you overshoot the landing site?

Last edited:
You can get all of the numbers you need from APOLLO BY THE NUMBERS

You need to get the various weights from the various tables and do a little arithmetic to get your total, but there should be more than enough information there.

Also remember that 11 did it's own DOI so some fuel had already been consumed at PDI.

• Informative
Likes Drakkith and berkeman
websterling said:
You can get all of the numbers you need from APOLLO BY THE NUMBERS
Wow, super detailed description of the Apollo-1 fire. Yikes.

Does anyone know the distance between RCS and center of gravity of the LM?

darkdave3000 said:
Does anyone know the distance between RCS and center of gravity of the LM?
Not sure, and the CoG will move over time as fuel is expended. A rough guess would be half of the diameter of the LM, or about 2 meters since the LM is a little over 4 x 4 meters (13 ft 3 in x 14 ft 1 in).

Drakkith said:
Not sure, and the CoG will move over time as fuel is expended. A rough guess would be half of the diameter of the LM, or about 2 meters since the LM is a little over 4 x 4 meters (13 ft 3 in x 14 ft 1 in).
Even if I were to use that, any idea how I can get hold of the moment of inertia and angular momentum of the LM?

darkdave3000 said:
Even if I were to use that, any idea how I can get hold of the moment of inertia and angular momentum of the LM?
I'd probably just use a simplified model. Perhaps a cube or a small cube on top of a big cube.

I assume you have seen http://www.ibiblio.org/apollo/. There may be something there (presumably the AGC had to have some idea of MoI etc in order to compute burn times, or was it all done through feedback?)

Paging @anorlunda - and this may be better off moved to the Computing sub-forum.

Drakkith said:
I'd probably just use a simplified model. Perhaps a cube or a small cube on top of a big cube.
What's wrong with a Sphere?

darkdave3000 said:
What's wrong with a Sphere?
The same that's wrong with an octagonal cylinder. Nothing.

1. What is simulation debugging for Apollo Lunar Landing?

Simulation debugging for Apollo Lunar Landing is the process of identifying and fixing errors or bugs in the computer simulations used to simulate the Apollo Lunar Landing mission. These simulations are used to test and refine the procedures and equipment used during the actual mission.

2. Why is simulation debugging important for the Apollo Lunar Landing?

Simulation debugging is important for the Apollo Lunar Landing because it allows scientists and engineers to identify and fix potential issues or errors in the simulations before they occur during the actual mission. This helps to ensure the safety and success of the mission.

3. What types of simulations are used for Apollo Lunar Landing?

There are various types of simulations used for Apollo Lunar Landing, including flight simulations, trajectory simulations, and landing simulations. These simulations use mathematical models to replicate the behavior of the spacecraft and its surroundings during the mission.

4. How are errors or bugs identified in the simulations?

Errors or bugs in the simulations are identified through extensive testing and analysis. This can involve running the simulations multiple times with different inputs and comparing the results to expected outcomes. Additionally, scientists and engineers can use debugging tools and techniques to pinpoint and fix specific errors.

5. How is simulation debugging for Apollo Lunar Landing different from other types of debugging?

Simulation debugging for Apollo Lunar Landing is different from other types of debugging because it involves testing and refining complex computer simulations rather than physical equipment or software. Additionally, the consequences of errors in the simulations can have significant impacts on the success of the mission, making the debugging process even more crucial.