Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulation of Radioactive Decay

1. Nov 29, 2005 #1
    Okay, I've got this problem in my Chemistry class. It's about half-lifes and all that. If this is the wrong place to post this, then somebody can move it I guess.

I've got a 10.0 g sample of an unknown. They give me the following info, wanting me to plot it on a graph. That's the easy part.

So I graphed it, but now they want me to locate the time when the mass is 5.00 g. Of course, this is the half-life. But how to find it...?

Then I need to check again at 2.50 g, but I can handle that part if I can just get some help on the 5 grams part. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

You know that after every half life, half of the remaining substance is lost.
    So if you have 10 grams, 1 half life later, 5 grams are left, 2 half lifes...2.5 grams.
    you could make an equation out of this,
    (stuff remaining) = (original amount)*.5^(number of half lives)

so now you sovle it for the number of half lives it has had after a certain amount of time using the data given.
    I did this, and my answer isnt quite agreeing with the chart when I check it though.

Just as an example, say you choose to find the number of half lives that have occured after 100 years.
    .5 grams = 10 grams * .5^(100 / x)
    where x is the length of a half life. Solve for x by taking the log of both sides and applying some log rules. I found x = 23.17 years.
    cheking it,
    10*.5^(100/23.17) = .502, close enough.
    But say you pick another date to find the length of a half life (20 year), the values for x do not agree.

Maybe they just want you to estimate it from the graph?
  4. Nov 30, 2005 #3
    Yeah, later they ask some stuff about "do these two times completely agree?" How convenient. Then they ask how I could use them to approximate the half-life. :confused: Maybe the average or something.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?