Simultaneous equations with 3 Unknowns

In summary, chaps are having difficulty understanding a maths problem. They are working their way through a book on engineering mathematics and are having trouble with a basic exercise. The problem is that most examples show three equations with the 3 variables in them. In chaps' case, only one equation has all 3 variables. They are lost when trying to solve for the missing coefficients. Gaussian elimination can be used to solve the system of equations for c.
Krypto78
Help chaps I am having a bad time with this.

I can appreciate this is basic, however i can not get my head around it.

Im scrubbing up on my maths as i was thinking of doing a HND in Engineering. I am working my way through K.A. Stroud's Engineering Mathematics and simply can't get to grips with this.

the exercise question is:-

2a - 5b + c = 1
a + c = 2
b - 3c = -3

solve the equations for a,b and c.

Im just not sure on the golden rules? do i use substitution or elimination? If someone can guide me through this it would be of HUGE appreciation.

Great site by the way:)

Nick

Physics news on Phys.org
Krypto78 said:

Im scrubbing up on my maths as i was thinking of doing a HND in Engineering. I am working my way through K.A. Stroud's Engineering Mathematics and simply can't get to grips with this.

2a - 5b + c = 1
a + c = 2
b - 3c = -3

Im just not sure on the golden rules? do i use substitution or elimination? If someone can guide me through this it would be of HUGE appreciation.

Nick

The most elementary way of solving a small system like this is to use Gaussian elimination. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_elimination

You can just use elimination without putting things in matrix notation, but once you get the hang of it, Gaussian elimination is just much faster and more mechanical.

Thanks for the quick reply.

The problem is most examples show 3 equations with the 3 variables in them.

in my example only 1 equation has all 3 variables. I think this is where i lose it.

:(

Krypto78 said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

The problem is most examples show 3 equations with the 3 variables in them.

in my example only 1 equation has all 3 variables. I think this is where i lose it.

:(

Put 0s where the "missing" coefficients are.

Still totally stuck. Anychance you can start me in the right direction? I won't give up till I've nailed it.

:)

Krypto78 said:

2a - 5b + c = 1
a + c = 2
b - 3c = -3

Nick

Use the second eqn to express 'a' in terms of 'c' and use the third eqn to express 'b' in terms of 'c'. Plug those expressions into the first eqn (that is, where you see a or b, use the c-expressions instead). Now you have a single eqn for c alone, and it is easy to solve.

BTW: when folks say to use Gaussian elimination they just mean: do exactly what I outlined above.

RGV

Last edited:
I haven't learned using matrices to solve systems of equations, however, notice if you find a and b in terms of c, you can substitute these values into the first equation.

Edit: nevermind, Ray already explained this process!

Thanks for the replys chaps.

So this is where I am at:-

1) 2a - 5b + c = 1
2) a + c = 2
3) b - 3c = -3

Express 'a' in terms of 'c' in equation 2)

a = 2 - c

Express 'b' in terms of 'c' in equation 3)

b = -3 + 3c

substitute values into equation 1)

2(2-c)-5(-3+3c)+c = 1

removing brackets:-

4 - 2c + 15 - 15c + c = 1

19 - 16c = 1

-16c = -18

c = -18/-16

= 1.125

is this right?

Many thanks

Nick

so knowing c = 1.125

substituting into equation 2) to calculate 'a'

a + 1.125 = 2

2- 1.125 = a

a = 0.875

knowing a and c, substituting into equation 1)

5 x 0.875 - 5b + 1.125 = 1

4.375 - 5b + 1.125 = 1

5.5 - 5b = 1

-4.5 = -5b

b = -4.5/-5

b = 0.9

hang on...

if i use equation 2) to calcualte b i get:-

b = -3 + 3c

b = -3 + 3 x 1.125

b = 0.375

ive gone wrong...

seen my error its 2a not 5a in equation 1)

so i have:-

a = 0.875
b = 0.375
c = 1.125

substituting these value into all 3 equations proves correct e.g

b - 3c = -3

0.375 - 3 x 1.125 does indeed = -3

how does that sound??

If you checked the solutions and they worked, then they must be the answers. Good job.

1. What are simultaneous equations with 3 unknowns?

Simultaneous equations with 3 unknowns are a set of three equations that involve three unknown variables, and the goal is to find values for these variables that satisfy all three equations simultaneously.

2. How do you solve simultaneous equations with 3 unknowns?

To solve simultaneous equations with 3 unknowns, you can use the substitution method, elimination method, or the matrix method. These methods involve manipulating the equations to eliminate one variable at a time until you are left with a single variable, which can then be solved.

3. Can simultaneous equations with 3 unknowns have more than one solution?

Yes, simultaneous equations with 3 unknowns can have more than one solution. This means that there can be multiple sets of values for the three unknown variables that satisfy all three equations simultaneously.

4. What is the importance of simultaneous equations with 3 unknowns in science?

Simultaneous equations with 3 unknowns are important in science because they allow us to model and solve complex systems and relationships. They are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and chemistry to analyze and predict real-world scenarios.

5. What are some real-life applications of simultaneous equations with 3 unknowns?

Some real-life applications of simultaneous equations with 3 unknowns include solving for the concentrations of different substances in a chemical reaction, determining the optimal production levels for a company based on cost and revenue equations, and finding the intersection points of multiple moving objects in physics.