Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths

In summary, the speaker is looking for a sine function to model the cyclic and seasonal nature of retail sales across multiple years. They have tried various methods, including polynomial fitting and complex plots, but have not found a solution. They mention possibly using time-dependent attenuation and other functions. Someone suggests trying to fit the data to a Fourier series, which is designed for periodic data. The speaker is unsure how to do this, but has found a resource that may be helpful.
hddd123456789
Hi All,

I'm trying to find a sine function that models the cyclic and seasonal nature of retail sales across the years. I've tried several combinations including some basic attempts at complex plots of sin(x), but am now starting to wonder if there is even a simple solution to the problem. I've searched google for images of plots but maybe I'm not entering the right keywords?

Anyway I'm going to have to write out the description. The units right now don't matter since I can't even get the proper shape of the curve. I did a polynomial fit to average monthly data and got the fifth order polynomial that fits the data from x=1 to x=12 (for the months 1 to 12):

y = -1.225*x^5 + 40.785*x^4 - 479.82*x^3 + 2325.3*x^2 - 4029.5*x + 1554.433 view wolframalpha plot

I'm basically trying to find a sine function that repeats this basic pattern for every year since I need to then apply time-dependent attenuation and perhaps other functions to it. The closest I got was through complex plots like this:

y = (sin(pi*x-pi/2)) - re(sqrt(sin(pi/2*(x+2))))^2 view wolframalpha plot

Will greatly appreciate any help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Have you tried fitting your data to a fourier series?

Fourier series are basically made to find all of the frequency components of periodic data.

There won't exit a single sine (or cosine) function that models that but a sum of such functions can (that is the "Fourier series" Mute mentions).

Mute said:
Have you tried fitting your data to a fourier series?

Fourier series are basically made to find all of the frequency components of periodic data.

I haven't, how do you do that exactly? ;)

I'll just go ahead and assume that I'm in over my head with the actual math behind this for the moment. I am a programmer however, and found a nifty class that is supposed to perform a "Fast Fourier Transform" which calculates the "discrete Fourier transform". But this is apparently quite different than the Fourier series (from a google search).

Ok, some more searching around and I found this:

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~akmitra/aero361/design_web/crvft.html

at the bottom of which there is a link to an excel file that basically lays out all the calculations done. This seems to be what I need, and I would appreciate if someone could point out that I'm going in the right direction.

Many thanks!

I understand your frustration in trying to find a sine function that accurately models the cyclic and seasonal nature of retail sales. It is a complex problem and there may not be a simple solution. However, I would suggest looking into using Fourier analysis to decompose your data into its fundamental frequency components and then using those components to create a sine function that fits your data. This approach takes into account the different wavelengths and amplitudes of the peaks in your data, and may provide a more accurate representation of the seasonal patterns in retail sales. Additionally, you may want to consider incorporating other factors such as economic trends, consumer behavior, and marketing strategies into your model to further improve its accuracy. I wish you the best of luck in your research.

What is the Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths?

The Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths is a mathematical function that describes a wave-like pattern with alternating peaks and troughs. It is commonly used to model periodic phenomena such as sound and light waves.

How is the Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths graphed?

The Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths is graphed by plotting the values of the function on a coordinate system, with the x-axis representing time or distance and the y-axis representing the amplitude of the wave. The peaks and troughs will be reflected on the graph, creating a wave-like pattern.

What is the relationship between the wavelength and frequency in the Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths?

The wavelength and frequency in the Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of the wave / frequency.

What is the amplitude in the Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths?

The amplitude in the Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths is the maximum displacement or distance from the equilibrium point of the wave. It determines the height of the peaks and the depth of the troughs on the graph. The larger the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries.

How is the Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths used in real life?

The Sine Function with Alternating Peaks and Wavelengths is used in many real-life applications, such as in music and sound engineering, radio and television broadcasting, and in predicting tides and weather patterns. It is also used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy, to describe and analyze wave phenomena.