Understanding Single Particle States in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the question is under what conditions can a beam of electrons be treated as an ensemble of single electrons versus a multi-particle system. If the electron-electron interaction can be ignored, the beam can be treated as individual particles. However, in general, the Hamiltonian will also have terms representing the interaction between particles, making it necessary to use a more complex approach. The state vector for the whole system can be constructed as a tensor product of the individual single particle states. And even though the electrons may not interact, they still have to obey the Pauli exclusion principle, making it impossible to consider them independently.
broegger
Hi,

I was just reading up on some QM, and I was wondering this: under what circumstances can you treat a bunch of electrons as occupying "single particle states", and when do you have to use one wavefunction depending on all the coordinates, psi(r1, r2, r3, ...)? Hope you know what I mean...

Physics news on Phys.org
One state vector would describe the whole system if all particles were identical. The position eigenstate for the whole system of N particles is then [itex]|\vec{x}\rangle =|\vec{x}_n\rangle\otimes\cdots\otimes |\vec{x}_1\rangle[/itex] (corresponding to the position operator [itex]Q=Q_n\otimes\cdots\otimes Q_1[/itex]) and the wave-function [itex]\langle\vec{x}|\psi\rangle =\psi (\vec{x}_n\cdots\vec{x}_1)[/itex], as you said. The intepretation of a state vector/operator is that it describes an ensemble of similarly prepared systems, not necessarilly a single particle.

The Schrodinger equation is still the same for the whole system, [itex]H|\psi (t)\rangle =i\hbar\tfrac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi (t)\rangle[/itex]. The only difference is that in, for example, coordinate representation the Hamiltonian gives the energy of the whole system and becomes for, non-relativistic, non-interacting particles (as Gokul pointed out below [thanks, I didn't realize that for some reason])

[tex]H=\sum_{i=1}^N\left[\frac{-\hbar^2\nabla_i^2}{2M_i}+V_i(\vec{x})\right][/tex]

Edit: But yeah, the non-interacting system can be treated individually, but generally one should treat the system as a whole, using a state vector to describe the whole ensemble.

Last edited:
I think the question is: Under what conditions can a beam of electrons be treated like an esemble of single electrons versus having to treat them as (one instance of) a multi-particle system? As long as the electron-electron interaction can be ignored, you can treat the beam as being a collection of independent particles.

Perturbation said:
The only difference is that in, for example, coordinate representation the Hamiltonian gives the energy of the whole system and becomes

[tex]H=\sum_{i=1}^N\left[\frac{-\hbar^2\nabla_i^2}{2M_i}+V_i(\vec{x})\right][/tex]

In general, the Hamiltonian will also have terms like Vi,j - the interaction terms between particles. In the absence of these terms we can solve the single-particle SE to find the single-particle eigenstates and construct the multiparticle state as the product of single particle states. The interaction terms prevent us from being able to do this, and we may have to resort to either a clever approximation (for weak interactions) or a more clever guess of the many-body wavenfunction (for strong interactions).

Last edited:
I see. Thanks.

Oh, just one more thing: how do you construct the state vector for the whole system from the individual single particle states? Is it like a tensor product (I'm unsure of the mathematics here.)

And yet another thing: even though the electrons doesn't interact, they still have to obey the Pauli exclusion principle, right? So we can't consider them independently after all, or...?

You would write the multi-particle state-vector as a tensor product of the individual state vectors.

Last edited:

1. What is a single particle state in quantum mechanics?

A single particle state in quantum mechanics refers to the quantum state of a single particle, such as an electron or a photon. This state is described by a wave function, which contains all the information about the particle's position, momentum, and other properties.

2. How are single particle states described mathematically in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, single particle states are described using the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes how the wave function of a particle evolves over time. The wave function is represented by a mathematical function and is used to calculate the probability of finding the particle in a particular state.

3. What is the significance of understanding single particle states in quantum mechanics?

Understanding single particle states in quantum mechanics is crucial for understanding the behavior of matter at the atomic and subatomic level. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and explains many phenomena, such as the wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle.

4. How do single particle states differ from multi-particle states in quantum mechanics?

In single particle states, the wave function describes the state of a single particle, while in multi-particle states, the wave function describes the state of multiple particles. Multi-particle states are more complex and require the use of techniques such as quantum entanglement to fully understand their behavior.

5. Can single particle states be observed in experiments?

While we cannot directly observe single particle states, we can indirectly observe their effects through experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles. The wave function and single particle states are essential for understanding and predicting the outcomes of these experiments.