Singular matrices and complex entries

In summary, the conversation discusses a matrix A and its determinant, with the goal of finding a solution for A to be singular. It is shown that there are multiple solutions, including x = -i and x = i, and that the possibility of the determinant being zero depends on the equation it yields. The conversation also considers the complex geometry behind the solutions.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Let's say we have a matrix that looks like $$
A = \begin{bmatrix}
1-x & 1+x \\
i & 1
\end{bmatrix} \implies\\ \det(A) = (1-x) -i(1+x).
$$
I want ##A## to be singular, so ##\det(A) = 0##. Is this impossible?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It would be possible over ##\mathbb{Z}_2## but then ## i ## doesn't make sense, as ##x^2+1\in \mathbb{Z}_2[x]## isn't irreducible.

fresh_42 said:
No. It would be possible over ##\mathbb{Z}_2## but then ## i ## doesn't make sense, as ##x^2+1\in \mathbb{Z}_2[x]## isn't irreducible.
Right, so the only solution is when ##x=i##?

joshmccraney said:
No, this would yield ##\det(A)=2-2i## if we assume ##A\in \mathbb{M}_2(\mathbb{C})##. But before you carry on: What is ##i ##? Where is ##x## supposed to be from? And does ##1## represent the multiplicative neutral, i.e. ##1\neq 0\,?##

joshmccraney said:

##x = -i## is a solution.

I'm assuming ##x## is a complex number.

PeroK said:

Oops. Right.

PeroK said:

Typo on my part, yea sorry.

joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

Let's say we have a matrix that looks like $$
A = \begin{bmatrix}
1-x & 1+x \\
i & 1
\end{bmatrix} \implies\\ \det(A) = (1-x) -i(1+x).
$$
I want ##A## to be singular, so ##\det(A) = 0##. Is this impossible?
I thunk by the Fundamental theorem of Algebra it must have a root. Not that I am disagreeing with the proposed solution x=-i, just a comment.

Likes FactChecker
WWGD said:
I thunk by the Fundamental theorem of Algebra it must have a root. Not that I am disagreeing with the proposed solution x=-i, just a comment.

Whether the determinant can be zero or not depends on whether you get a quadratic, linear equation (in ##x##) or a constant. If, for example, you change the matrix to:
$$
A = \begin{bmatrix}
1-x & 1+x \\
-1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
$$
Then there is no solution.

Likes WWGD
PeroK said:
Whether the determinant can be zero or not depends on whether you get a quadratic, linear equation (in ##x##) or a constant. If, for example, you change the matrix to:
$$
A = \begin{bmatrix}
1-x & 1+x \\
-1 & 1
\end{bmatrix}
$$
Then there is no solution.
Ok, good point, I did not consider hat possibility. Edit: But the complex geometry behind is not as obvious as if x were purely Real.

1. What is a singular matrix?

A singular matrix is a square matrix that does not have an inverse. This means that it is not possible to find another matrix that, when multiplied with the original matrix, will result in the identity matrix (a matrix with 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else).

2. How can you determine if a matrix is singular?

A matrix is singular if its determinant is equal to 0. The determinant is a number that can be calculated from a square matrix and represents a variety of properties of the matrix.

3. What are complex entries in a matrix?

Complex entries in a matrix are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i representing the imaginary unit).

4. Can a matrix with complex entries be singular?

Yes, a matrix with complex entries can be singular. The determinant of a matrix with complex entries is still calculated in the same way as a matrix with real entries, so if the determinant is equal to 0, the matrix is still considered to be singular.

5. Why are singular matrices and complex entries important in science?

Singular matrices and complex entries are important in science because they are used to solve a variety of problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are also used in data analysis and computer graphics. Understanding and being able to work with singular matrices and complex entries is necessary for many scientific applications.