Is every matrix diagonalizable if we allow complex entries?

In summary, the conversation discusses the diagonalizability of a matrix with eigenvalues of zero and how it relates to the general statement. The counterexample provided proves that the general statement is not always true and the conversation also mentions the use of Jordan decomposition for non-diagonalizable matrices. The conversation also touches on the idea of complex entries in a matrix.
McLaren Rulez
I came across this statement but I am not so sure. I was stuck on this counter-example

[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
0&1\\0&0
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

I'm not really sure what happens to this because the eigenvalues are both zero. I don't know whether this is called diagonalizable because it would just be diag(0,0) or not. And is the general statement true?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is no, as your counterexample proves. Because of this, you generalize the diagonal decompostion to the Jordan decomposition. The matrix you have provided is called a "Jordan block", the building blocks of the Jordan decomposition.

a diagonalizable matrix has its eigenvalues on the diagonal. hence a matrix whose eigenvalues are all zero, can only be diagonalizable if it is the zero matrix. thus any non matrix whose only non zero entries are above the diagonal, has all eigenvalues zero, hence if non zero, such as your example, cannot be diagonalizable.

Thank you for the help!

Also, referring back to the topic title, your matrix does have complrx entries. They just happen to have imaginary part 0.

Ok that was a nitpicky remark. But goes to show that it won't 'solve' your diagonalizibility 'problem'.

What does it mean for a matrix to be diagonalizable?

Diagonalizable refers to the process of transforming a matrix into a diagonal matrix by finding a new set of basis vectors. In the diagonal matrix, all values outside of the main diagonal are zero.

What is the significance of allowing complex entries in a matrix?

Complex entries allow for a matrix to have imaginary numbers as elements, which can be useful in representing certain physical or mathematical systems. They also allow for more flexibility and precision in calculations.

Is every matrix with real entries also diagonalizable if we allow complex entries?

No, not all matrices with real entries are diagonalizable when complex entries are allowed. The matrix must meet certain conditions, such as being square and having a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors, in order to be diagonalizable.

Can a non-square matrix be diagonalizable if complex entries are allowed?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be diagonalizable regardless of whether complex entries are allowed or not. Diagonalization requires the same number of rows and columns in order to transform it into a diagonal matrix.

How can we determine if a matrix is diagonalizable when complex entries are allowed?

A matrix is diagonalizable if it has a full set of linearly independent eigenvectors. This can be determined through various methods, such as finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors or using the Jordan canonical form.