Sinusoidal Current of .5 Amps (rms) & 5 kHz

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a current function given the amplitude and frequency of a sinusoidal current. The topic of rms (root mean square) value is also brought up and its relationship to the amplitude of the current is explained. The conversation ends with a reference to a source for additional information.
AmagicalFishy
This is just a quick question:

A problem I'm working on says "a sinusoidal current of .5 amps (rms) and 5 kHz." Later, in the problem solution, [itex]I(t)[/itex] is written as [itex].5 \sqrt{2} \cos{(10^4 \pi t)}[/itex]. I think I'm simply misunderstanding something about the construction of a current function when given amps and such. Why is the current not: [itex].5 \sin{(10^4 \pi t)}[/itex]? Where does the [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] come from? I assume the cosin and sin are interchangeable.

Also, what is "rms"?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The time dependence of the sinusoidal current of frequency f and amplitude A is I=Asin(ωt), ω=2πf .

The rms value of current and voltage is abbreviation of "root mean square" the square root of the time average of the square of the current (or voltage).

The average of I2 is [tex](I^2)_{av}=\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T{I^2dt}=\frac{A^2}{T}\int_0^T{\sin^2(ωt)dt}=\frac{A^2}{2}[/tex]

So ##I_{rms}=\sqrt{A^2/2}=A/\sqrt2##. If you are given the rms current, the amplitude is A=√2 Irms.

ehild

If I could delete this thread, I would. Instead, I will answer it:

The [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and "rms" are very related. The RMS value for some periodic current is the DC current that delivers the same average power. For sinusoidal waves of the form [itex]a \sin{(2 \pi f t)}[/itex], the corresponding RMS value is [itex]\frac{a}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]. So, for a sinusoidal wave of RMS current .5 A, we just solve for [itex] \frac{a}{\sqrt{2}} = 5[/itex], where [itex]a[/itex] is the amplitude of the sinusoidal current.

Most information taken from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square#RMS_of_common_waveforms

Edit: Whoops! I was writing this while you wrote your answer, ehild. Sorry 'bout that.

What is sinusoidal current?

Sinusoidal current is an alternating current that has a waveform that resembles a sine wave. It is commonly used to describe the flow of electricity in a circuit.

What does .5 Amps (rms) mean?

.5 Amps (rms) refers to the root mean square value of the current. It is a measure of the average value of the current over time and is used to describe the magnitude of the current in an alternating current circuit.

What is the significance of 5 kHz in sinusoidal current?

5 kHz refers to the frequency of the sinusoidal current, which is measured in hertz (Hz). It describes how many cycles of the current occur in one second. In this case, 5 kHz means that the current completes 5,000 cycles per second.

How is sinusoidal current of .5 Amps (rms) & 5 kHz used in practical applications?

Sinusoidal current of .5 Amps (rms) & 5 kHz is commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. It is also used in power transmission and distribution systems to deliver electricity to homes and businesses.

What factors can affect the amplitude and frequency of sinusoidal current?

The amplitude and frequency of sinusoidal current can be affected by the type of circuit, the components used, and external factors such as temperature and electromagnetic interference. Changes in these factors can alter the shape and strength of the current waveform.