Sitting on a (very) extended object in space

• Thread starter johne1618
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a long rigid rod in space and its relation to the Hubble flow and the Hubble constant. It questions whether the center of mass of the rod will be at rest with the Hubble flow and if an individual at one end of the rod will see nearby objects moving past them at a specific velocity. The conversation also mentions the possibility of accelerating to achieve a zero Hubble red-shift and the implications on one's movement in relation to surrounding objects.
johne1618
Hi,

I imagine a very long rigid rod in space with length L.

I assume that the center of mass of the rod will be at rest with respect to the Hubble flow - is that right?

If I travel to one of the ends of the rod will I now see nearby objects that are moving with the Hubble flow move past me parallel to the rod with a velocity v = H_0 L/2 where H_0 is the Hubble constant?

John

Space news on Phys.org
You can also do this by accelerating so the Hubble red-shift for some distant object is zero. Then it comes as no surprise that you are moving with respect to the objects around you.

1. What would happen if a person sat on a (very) extended object in space?

If a person were to sit on a (very) extended object in space, they would experience a lack of gravity or weightlessness. This is because there is no gravity in space to pull the person towards the object. Additionally, the person would likely experience intense cold due to the lack of atmospheric pressure and protection from the sun's heat.

2. Is it possible to sit on a (very) extended object in space?

Yes, it is possible to sit on a (very) extended object in space, such as a spacecraft or satellite. However, this would require specialized equipment to ensure the safety and survival of the person, such as a spacesuit and a pressurized environment.

3. Would sitting on a (very) extended object in space affect the body in any way?

Yes, sitting on a (very) extended object in space would affect the body in several ways. The lack of gravity and atmospheric pressure can cause changes in bone density and muscle mass. The body may also experience changes in the cardiovascular system and sensory organs due to the absence of gravity.

4. How long can a person sit on a (very) extended object in space?

The length of time a person can sit on a (very) extended object in space depends on several factors, such as the availability of resources and the person's physical and mental health. In general, astronauts on the International Space Station can stay for about six months before needing to return to Earth.

5. Are there any risks associated with sitting on a (very) extended object in space?

Yes, there are several risks associated with sitting on a (very) extended object in space. These include exposure to radiation, microgravity effects on the body, and potential equipment malfunctions. It is crucial for astronauts to undergo rigorous training and for spacecraft to undergo strict safety measures to minimize these risks.