1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Sizing a winch for loading onto a ramp

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

this isn't a homework problem, but i guess it's a basic enough question that i figured i'd post it here.

okay, so i'm trying to figure out how big of a winch to buy for a very large tow truck i am building. winches are rated based on how much they can pull. eg. a 20,000 lb winch can pull 20,000 lbs at a 0 degree incline (flat surface.)

so if i have a vehicle that weighs 40,000 lbs, and a ramp angle of 30 degrees, and a drag coefficient of .5 (if i'm towing a disabled tracked vehicle, i'm guessing a drag coefficient as high as .5 isn't unreasonable) then how big of a winch would i need to pull this up the ramp?

i'm looking for a formula, so i can change the values of my variables: weight of vehicle, drag coefficient of vehicle, winch size, angle of ramp.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2
    k, i found the answer out.

here it is:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook