Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sizing DC Motor for Large Robot (350 lb)

1. Nov 25, 2014 #1
    I'm working on a senior design project. Currently I'm having some issues with sizing a motor for a large robot; everywhere I look I get different advice. I have a motor that I think will work but would appreciate some input.

The specs are for our robot are as follows:

mass = 350 lb = 158.8 kg
    Max velocity = 4 mph = 1.788 m/s
    angle = 4.8 degrees = 0.0837 radians
    acceleration = (2*v_max)/t + v_i = 1.788 m/s^2
    wheel radius = 10 inches = 0.254 m
    time = 5 seconds

Surface = smooth indoor flooring

where v_max is the maximum velocity and v_i is the initial velocity (0 m/s), t is the time it takes for the robot to accelerate from 0 to v_max

I did a free body analysis (FBD) of the robot on an inclined plane (0.0837 radians) and got the following equation for the torque:

Torque = m*r*(a+g*sin(theta))

where m is the mass, a is the acceleration, g is gravity (9.81 m/s^2) and theta is the angle of the inclined plane.

This gives me a torque of 31.7 N-m. I think that this motor:

http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.aspx/dg-158-24vdc-135-rpm-wheel-chair-motor-pair/1531/

may work (the specs given are for the motors together). But the specs are confusing me a little. I don't understand where the 'Power Output (W) =200' spec is coming from or what the 'Gear Rated Motor Torque = 16.95 N-m)' means. As I understand it:

Power = torque*angular velocity

So, for the specs given for the motor:

w_motor = 135 RPM *2*pi/60 = 14.13 rad/s

Power_motor = 16.95 N-m*14.13 rad/s = 239.5 W

The issues is that for us to move the robot we need the following power:

w_robot= v_max/r = (1.788m/s)/(0.13 m) = 13.75 rad/s

where we rounded the radius of the wheel from 0.254 m to 0.13m.

Power_robot = 31.7 N-m*13.75 rad/s = 435.875 W

Additionally, in the images given for this motor there is a speed (RPM) vs torque graph which plots efficiency, current and speed (RPM). Based on the speed curve I re-plotted the points in excel and used a curve of best fit to find that the stall torque was approximately 60 N-m. So, we'd be operating these motors at 50% of their stall torque, but most sources I've read indicate that you should operate dc motors between 10 and 33% of their stall torque.

Any input about whether I'm looking in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I know nothing of math or even actual engineering. When faced with a high-torque application, I always fall back on the good old automobile starter motor.
    Also, you could look into the motors used on my power-chair (Jazzy Jet 3). It's like a combination of easy chair and motorized wheelchair. 24VDC gearhead motors. You can get them through eBay for a couple of hundred bucks, but they cost over $1,500 new.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook