Sketching a wave on a string from y = 15cm cos(πx/5.0cm - πt/12s)

  • Thread starter Thread starter ajmCane22
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    String Waves
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
ajmCane22
Messages
33
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A wave on a string is described by the following equation: y = (15cm)cos(πx/5.0cm - πt/12s). Sketch this wave from x = 0 to x = 10 cm for the t = 0.



The Attempt at a Solution


Honestly, I've never seen this notation before. I have no idea how to interpret it. I tried googling some help and now I'm more confused. I tried setting t to 0 and putting different values for x in order to get a value for y, but I get 14.9... for every value of x, which gives me a straight line, and that answer was incorrect. It might be hard to explain this online, but I would appreciate it immensely if somebody would please try. I'm utterly lost.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Then you are doing something wrong in your calculations or choosing to few x's.
For instance, if x = 0 then y = 15, if x = 2,5 then y = 0, if x = 5 then y = -15 and so on.
How are you doing the calculations?
 
This is what I am doing:

Using x=2.5 for example,

t=0, so...
15 x cos[(pi*2.5)/5.0 - (pi*0)/12]
15 x cos(1.57 - 0)
15 x 0.9996 = 14.99

I'm obviously doing something wrong, because I know for x=2.5 y should equal 0
 
your calculator is set to degrees, it should be set to radians.