Sketching Absolute value graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a graphing problem involving absolute value equations. The equation given is y = 2|x-1| - 3|x+1| + 3x + 1, and the individual steps for solving for different values of x are discussed. The conversation also touches on the confusion caused by multiple methods taught by the lecturer. Ultimately, the solution involves treating each part of the equation separately and multiplying by -1 if necessary.
w0lfed

Homework Statement

I previously left some absolute value questions which contained a few simple equations and equalities.

i have a further question when it comes to slightly more complicated Absolute statements.

Sketch the graph of y = 2|x-1| - 3|x+1| + 3x + 1

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

?

Physics news on Phys.org
w0lfed said:
Sketch the graph of y = 2|x-1| - 3|x+1| + 3x + 1

Hi w0lfed! :smile:

Do it in three bits …

x ≤ -1, -1 ≤ x ≤ 1, x ≥ 1 :wink:

i think i need a lil more help...?
do we just make the absolute values negative for x=< - 1 or is there more to it like a sign table?
my lecturer just threw about 20 methods at us in 2 mins and i get quite confused because i try and combine em all and everyone says something else :S

w0lfed said:
do we just make the absolute values negative for x=< - 1 or is there more to it like a sign table?

eg for x = -7, |x + 1| = |-7 + 1| = |-6| = 6 …

and generally for x ≤ -1, |x + 1| = -(x + 1) :smile:

ok cool, i get that, but now do we make it positive or negative for -1 =< X =< 1

and then also...do we just leave and solve the values of X which are not absolute eg 3x like we would normally do

thanks very much Tiny Tim for you help

w0lfed said:
ok cool, i get that, but now do we make it positive or negative for -1 =< X =< 1

and then also...do we just leave and solve the values of X which are not absolute eg 3x like we would normally do

Hi w0lfed! :smile:

look at each one separately … if it would be negative, multiply it by -1 …

and yes, leave the others like you normally would. :wink:

1. What is an absolute value graph?

An absolute value graph is a type of graph that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is represented by the absolute value function, which is denoted as |x|.

2. How do you sketch an absolute value graph?

To sketch an absolute value graph, you need to plot points on the graph by substituting values for x in the absolute value function. Then, connect the points with a straight line. Remember to include the parts above and below the x-axis for a complete graph.

3. What are the key features of an absolute value graph?

The key features of an absolute value graph are the V-shape, the vertex (the point where the graph changes direction), the x-intercept (where the graph crosses the x-axis), and the symmetry across the y-axis. The slope of the graph is also important, as it determines the steepness of the V-shape.

4. How does the absolute value graph change with different coefficients?

The coefficient in front of the absolute value function affects the slope of the graph. A coefficient greater than 1 will result in a steeper graph, while a coefficient between 0 and 1 will result in a flatter graph. A negative coefficient will reflect the graph over the x-axis.

5. What real-life situations can be represented by absolute value graphs?

Absolute value graphs can represent various real-life situations, such as distance-time graphs for a moving object, temperature graphs that show the difference between the actual temperature and the freezing point, and profit graphs for a business that is making both positive and negative profits.