1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Metric space and absolute value of difference.

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    I'm beginning self-study of real analysis based on 'Introductory Real Analysis' by Kolmogorov and Fomin. This is from section 5.2: 'Continuous mappings and homeomorphisms. Isometric Spaces', on page 45, Problem 1. This is my first post to these forums, but I'll try to get the latex right. Incidentally, I didn't find this particular question by searching; can I use latex in searches?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a metric space [itex](X, \rho)[/itex], prove that
    [tex] a) \ \ | \rho (x, z) - \rho (y,u) | \leq \rho (x, y) + \rho (z, u) \ \ \ \ (x, y, z, u \in X);[/tex]
    [tex]b) \ \ | \rho (x, z) - \rho (y, z) | \leq \rho (x, y) \ \ \ \ (x, y, z \in X).[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of a metric space (Defn. 1, p. 37).

3. The attempt at a solution
    Things that come to mind:
    - absolute value is equivalent to taking square and root
    - the signs change on (a): on the left is absolute value of a difference, on the right, the regular sum, but
    - group of terms changes: (x,z) - (y,u) -> (x,y) + (z,u)

So I gather that the absolute value is significant here, but I don't see the steps to make the connection (square both sides, say). The definition of triangle inequality uses the same elements (x,y,z), but I take that to be coincidental and that I should not assume the (x,y,z,u) in this problem have that same relationship.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi anhedonia! welcome to pf! :smile:
    i have no idea what you mean by this :confused:

in b), suppose ρ(x,z) > ρ(y,z) … how would you prove it then? :wink:

4. Jul 10, 2012 #3
    Re: welcome to pf!

Just that I shouldn't assume the relation of (x,y,z) given in the definition of the triangle inequality applies to the specific (x,y,z) given in this problem statement -- these are different instances of some [itex](x,y,z) \in X[/itex].

I gather you're saying, essentially, refer back to the general definition of 'absolute value', which is piece-wise:
    [tex]|a| =
    \left\{
    \begin{array}{l}
    a,\ \ \text{if}\ a \geq 0 \\
    -a,\ \text{if}\ a < 0
    \end{array}
    \right.
    [/tex]

Meaning, split the problem in two and handle each case. That makes sense. I'll see where that gets me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook