1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding integration with trig identities, and absolute value

1. Jul 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In integration, we are allowed to use identities such as [itex]sinx = \sqrt{1-cos^2x}[/itex]. Why does that work, and why doesn't make a difference in integration? Graphing [itex]\sqrt{1-cos^2x}[/itex] is only equal to sinx on certain intervals such as[itex](0, \pi) [/itex]and [itex](2\pi, 3\pi)[/itex]. More correctly, shouldn't we use the absolute value of [itex]\sin\left({x}\right)[/itex]?

[itex]sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x[/itex]
    [itex]|sinx| = \sqrt{1 = cos^2x}[/itex]
    or defined piecewisely = {[itex]\sin\left({x}\right)[/itex] in regions where it is above the x-axis, and -[itex]\sin\left({x}\right)[/itex] in regions where x is below the x-axis.

Is it possible to even truly isolate "[itex]sin\left({x}\right)[/itex]" from
    [itex]sin^2x = 1 - cos^2x[/itex]? It seems as the |[itex]sin\left({x}\right)[/itex]| is the closest we can to isolate it.

Sorry if I may seem confusing, but the concept of absolute value still confuses me.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2014 #2
    Can you provide an example? All I feel like I can tell you right now is that you're right, sin(x) is not sqrt(1-cos^2(x)) and that you cannot make that claim in integration either, but I don't know the whole story.

4. Jul 20, 2014 #3
    Well, I was just thinking about this, nothing more. Actually, I don't think this pertains too much to integration, since no one in the right mind would use that substitution. But how would someone isolate sinx from cos^2x + sin^2x = 1, there seems to always be an absolute value in the way. And I really don't think schools teach absolute value well, or at all. I've been taught that the square root of something results in +/-, but it wouldn't make sense that sinx = +/- sqrt(1-cos^2x).

But in generally, in integration, I usually see the books ignoring the absolute value. For example, [itex]∫ x^5\sqrt{1-x^3} dx [/itex], you can make the substitution [itex] 1 - x^3 = z^2[/itex]. The square root of [itex]z^2[/itex] would be the absolute value of z, but they just use integrate z instead.

Also, in [itex]∫\frac{\sqrt{x-x^2}}{x^4} dx [/itex], if you use the substitution [itex]x = \frac{1}{u} [/itex], then you'll end up with [itex]-∫ \sqrt{\frac{1}{u^2}(u-1)}u^2 du [/itex], and the [itex]\frac{1}{u^2}[/itex] simply becomes [itex]\frac{1}{u} [/itex]. Also, when calculating arc lengths, such as [itex]y^3 = 8x^2[/itex] from 1 to 8, sqrt(x^(-2/3)) becomes x^(-1/3).

I apologize for the long message, I got addicted to use LaTeX.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  5. Jul 22, 2014 #4
    Anyone have any insights as to why this is true?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted