Skier on a sphere problem involving conservation of energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
BJducky
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A skier of mass m starts from rest at the top of a solid sphere of radius r and slides down its frictionless surface. At what angle (theta) will the skier leave the sphere? And if friction were present, would the skier fly off at a greater or lesser angle?


Homework Equations


I am assuming that we will use the conservation of energy, perhaps mgh=1/2mv^2. Something like that?

The Attempt at a Solution


Honestly, I am completely at a loss. I tried to approach this problem with some of the formulas in the book but could not figure it out. Please help me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than considering conservation of energy, a better approach may be to examine the forces acting on the skier, paying particular attention to the normal reaction force.