Energy calculations for a skier on a hill

In summary, a skier with a mass of 45 kg is standing at the top of a 45 m hill. The gravitational potential energy of the skier in this position can be calculated using the equation E_g = mgh. At the bottom of the hill, where the skier has a speed of 7.2 m/s, the kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation E_K = 1/2mv^2. It is important to note that the kinetic energy of the skier at the bottom of the hill is not equal to the gravitational potential energy at the top, due to factors such as friction and air resistance. The choice of where to take the zero point for calculating potential energy is arbitrary, but does
Meeeessttteeehh
Thread title changed to be more descriptive of the problem.

Homework Statement

A skier with a mass of 45 kg is standing at the top of a 45 m hill.
· Calculate the gravitational potential energy of the skier when she is standing at the top of the hill
· Calculate the kinetic energy of this skier at the bottom of the hill, where she has a speed of 7.2 m/s
· Explain why the kinetic energy of the skier at the bottom of the hill is not equal to the gravitational potential energy of the skier at the top of the hill

Homework Equations

E_g =mgh
E_K=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

54.png

Attachments

• 54.png
    54.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 3,061
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks very good, but is it true that the majority of the initial gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy? Also, does your reference to "friction" include air resistance?

Your answer is fine. My only observation is that the problem did not specify where the origin for calculating the potential energy is to be taken. This point is arbitrary. For example if the zero point of potential energy were at the top of the hill, then its value would be zero at the top and - 2×104 J at the bottom. However, the choice of zero does not change the fact that when the skier reaches the bottom of the hill the speed will be the same. It's the difference in potential energy that counts.

Likes TSny
TSny said:
Looks very good, but is it true that the majority of the initial gravitational potential energy is converted into kinetic energy? Also, does your reference to "friction" include air resistance?
Thanks! No to the air resistance, I forgot about that... should I add it in? Or would it be "out of place" as I was taking about energy and air resistance isn't a type of energy? As for the conversion, the numbers suggest that the majority is converted to kinetic, but I guess this requires more research... Who knew skiing was so complicated!

kuruman said:
Your answer is fine. My only observation is that the problem did not specify where the origin for calculating the potential energy is to be taken. This point is arbitrary. For example if the zero point of potential energy were at the top of the hill, then its value would be zero at the top and - 2×104 J at the bottom. However, the choice of zero does not change the fact that when the skier reaches the bottom of the hill the speed will be the same. It's the difference in potential energy that counts.
That's an interesting point. Is it safe to assume the zero was at the bottom you think?

Meeeessttteeehh said:
Thanks! No to the air resistance, I forgot about that... should I add it in? Or would it be "out of place" as I was taking about energy and air resistance isn't a type of energy? As for the conversion, the numbers suggest that the majority is converted to kinetic, but I guess this requires more research... Who knew skiing was so complicated!
Air resistance is a type of friction that dissipates mechanical energy to heat. This is probably more significant than the production of sound.

The final kinetic energy equals what percent of the loss of gravitational potential energy?

Meeeessttteeehh said:
That's an interesting point. Is it safe to assume the zero was at the bottom you think?
Most problem authors specify the zero of potential energy if it makes a difference to the answer. In this case, I think is safe to assume that zero is at the bottom of the hill. I thought I should point this out to you for future reference. Sometimes it's easier to write the appropriate equations with respect to one reference frame than another.

1. How is the potential energy of a skier on a hill calculated?

The potential energy of a skier on a hill is calculated using the formula E = mgh, where E is the potential energy in joules, m is the mass of the skier in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the hill in meters.

2. What is the relationship between kinetic energy and speed for a skier on a hill?

The kinetic energy of a skier on a hill is directly proportional to their speed. This means that as the skier's speed increases, their kinetic energy also increases. The formula for kinetic energy is E = 1/2 mv², where E is the kinetic energy in joules, m is the mass of the skier in kilograms, and v is the speed of the skier in meters per second.

3. How does friction affect the energy calculations for a skier on a hill?

Friction plays a significant role in energy calculations for a skier on a hill. Friction decreases the amount of potential energy that is converted into kinetic energy. This means that the skier will have less speed and kinetic energy as a result of friction. The amount of friction depends on factors such as the type of surface, the skier's equipment, and the angle of the hill.

4. Can you calculate the total energy of a skier on a hill?

Yes, the total energy of a skier on a hill is equal to the sum of their potential energy and kinetic energy. The formula for total energy is E = mgh + 1/2 mv². This means that if you know the mass, height, and speed of the skier, you can calculate their total energy at any point on the hill.

5. How does air resistance affect the energy calculations for a skier on a hill?

Similar to friction, air resistance also affects the energy calculations for a skier on a hill. Air resistance, also known as drag, decreases the speed and kinetic energy of the skier. The amount of air resistance depends on factors such as the skier's body position, the shape of their equipment, and the density of the air. To account for air resistance, a coefficient is typically added to the formula for kinetic energy: E = 1/2  C  A  v², where  is the air density, C is the drag coefficient, A is the frontal area of the skier, and v is the speed of the skier.