Skin/hair bug looks like a lobster?

1. Years ago I remember watching a "documentary?" on TV about our skin or hair (my best guess is hair). It was about all of the microscopic "bugs" that live on us. And the best I remember, there was one that looked like a lobster.

Anyone know the name of this "bug"?
    (I've tried Google with no success.)

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Borek

Staff: Mentor

Most likely some mite.

4. Agree, it should've been a mite. Chelicerates are very related to crustaceans such as lobsters.

5. jim mcnamara

jim mcnamara 1,517
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There are two species of Demodex mites that live, breed, and die on our skin. One species lives most of it life head down in hair follicles, The other in oil glands, head down. Their wanderings are more pronounced at night. As you age you eventually develop your own personal load of these little guys.

Pictures and a "popular" version of these beasties:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/n...crawl-and-have-sex-on-your-face/#.UOoY9sU8CSo

6. Evo

7. Lol... that mite be a good pun??

OCR

8. Fredrik

Fredrik 10,475
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks guys. My eyebrows and eyelashes have been itching constantly since I read your posts and clicked your links.

9. Borek

You should be glad its eyebrows and eyelashes, there are other animals that we could link to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?