Skipping numbers in lists in Mathematica

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to using Mathematica and is trying to manipulate a large file of numbers for research. They have already figured out how to generate a histogram, but now they want to skip over certain numbers and save them under the same name for a new histogram. They have tried using the takedata option, but it did not work. Another person suggests using a For [ ] - loop and writing the operation in the body, or using a Do loop. The first person then presents their code using a Do loop, but it needs to be evaluated 256 times with different values for initobs. They tried putting the whole expression in a Do loop, but it did not work. They are seeking
laminatedevildoll
Hi,

I am new to mathematica, and part of the program I have to write includes reading a file and manipulating the data for research. This file has around 22,000 numbers listed in it. I've already figured out how to look at those numbers and generate a histogram. However, what if I want to skip over numbers, meaning that now I want to read every 256th number until the end of my data set and save it each time under the same name, i.e data1, so I can generate a new histogram with these numbers. I've already tried the takedata option, without much luck.

I'd appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
One simple way to do it would be to write a For [ ] - loop over your data with the appropriate incrementation and writing the operation (the save) in the body of the for-statement.

Okay, I figured out how to skip numbers by using a Do loop.

Here's my code so far...

data = BinaryReadList[file,"Integer16"]
lngth = Length[data]
stepsize = 255
numiter = IntegerPart[lngth/stepsize]
initobs=1
data1={}
Do[data1=Append[data1,data[[i]]], {i,initobs,numiter*stepsize,stepsize}]
Readlist[data1]

However, I need to evaluate this 256 times where initobs = 1,2...256. I tried to put this whole expression in a do loop, so that it could output 256 different list for different values of initobs, but it doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?

1. How do I skip numbers in a list in Mathematica?

To skip numbers in a list in Mathematica, you can use the Range function and specify the step size. For example, if you want to skip every other number in a list from 1 to 10, you can use Range[1, 10, 2]. This will give you the list {1, 3, 5, 7, 9}.

2. Can I skip numbers in a list based on a specific condition?

Yes, you can use the Select function in Mathematica to skip numbers in a list based on a condition. For example, if you have a list of numbers from 1 to 10 and you only want to include numbers that are greater than 5, you can use Select[list, #>5&]. This will give you the list {6, 7, 8, 9, 10}.

3. Is it possible to skip numbers in a list while maintaining the order?

Yes, you can use the DeleteCases function to skip numbers in a list while maintaining the order. For example, if you have a list of numbers from 1 to 10 and you want to skip all even numbers, you can use DeleteCases[list, _?EvenQ]. This will give you the list {1, 3, 5, 7, 9}.

4. How can I skip numbers in a list and replace them with a different value?

You can use the ReplacePart function in Mathematica to skip numbers in a list and replace them with a different value. For example, if you have a list of numbers from 1 to 10 and you want to skip all multiples of 3 and replace them with the string "skipped", you can use ReplacePart[list, Position[list, _?Divisible[#, 3]&] -> "skipped"]. This will give you the list {1, 2, "skipped", 4, 5, "skipped", 7, 8, "skipped", 10}.

5. Can I skip numbers in a list and perform operations on the remaining numbers?

Yes, you can use the Map function in Mathematica to perform operations on a list after skipping certain numbers. For example, if you have a list of numbers from 1 to 10 and you want to square each number after skipping all multiples of 2, you can use Map[Power[#, 2]&, Select[list, Not[#%2==0]&]]. This will give you the list {1, 9, 25, 49, 81}.