Sleeping in library and sleeping in lectures ~

• Thread starter darkar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lectures
In summary: I didn't go there for the coffee. In summary, if you want to stay awake in lectures, wear a Walkman or similar with the volume way up.

Is sleeping in library acceptable?

• Yes

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
darkar
Need some advice, I have the tendency to fall asleep when attending the lectures. Is there anyway to help me to stay awake during lectures?

Sometimes, I just tired and fell asleep in the library, is this a bad thing? Is this acceptable?

P/s: Wow, It has been a while since I post. and Wow! New layout for PF!

Physics news on Phys.org
I always snooze in the library! Inbetween physics and calculus I have about two hours to waste and I don't feel like walking all the way back to my dorm, so I just snooze in the library.

Snoozing inthe library is acceptable prviding you don't snore,they are quiet areas after all.

Sleeping in lectures is a game of russian roulette get caught by the lecturer and your in a whole new world of trouble.

If you want to stay awake, wear a Walkman or similar with the volume way up. Shunt the power through a mercury switch so when you nod off, it fires up.

Sleeping in lectures is acceptable, it's the best way to provide feedback to lecturers.

PerennialII said:
Sleeping in lectures is acceptable, it's the best way to provide feedback to lecturers.

Or save the lecturer the trouble of having to determine why you suck at your tests :P

I had one class which was at 9am (never again... night owl no likey) and the classroom was always about 82 degrees. I used to have to bring gum to keep me awake, and even that didn't work all the time.

I once dozed off in a first year astronomy class, and ended up sliding off my chair and making a big racket. Boy, was that embarassing.

A friend of mine had a nasty habit of chewing tobacco. One day he fell asleep in the library on top of a homework assignment. He woke up with brown drool all over the papers.

imabug said:
He woke up with brown drool all over the papers.
On the bright side... if he'd been smoking, he would have awakened with his face on fire.

I don't properly sleep in lectures. I just have those "microsleeps" where you nod off for a second, your head starts to flop over, and you suddenly jerk awake. I bet I look like one of these damn things:
http://www.aahom.org/img/store/drinkBird40x40.jpg [Broken]
(though without the stylish hat)

Danger said:
On the bright side... if he'd been smoking, he would have awakened with his face on fire.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Well put!

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say that it's acceptable to sleep in public places, but from reading this thread, apparently a lot of people have problems staying awake. :bugeye: I could never fall alseep in public.

Pengwuino said:
Or save the lecturer the trouble of having to determine why you suck at your tests :P

a real win-win!

However mastering the skill is difficult and takes a lot of practice, the true gurus who can keep their posture are rare.

Last edited:
worst is when you get caught asleep in HS.:zzz:
Oh god , I woke up to the whole class staring at me last week.
the teacher had said "Look, he's drooling"

Cold people tend to stay awake better.

Getting enough sleep beforehand is a part of it, but it's not the only thing.

Sleeping in class, as said by PerennialII, is a great way to give feedback on lectures.

If you're like me and can sleep in class and still do awesome on tests, then sleep away! You're obviously not learning(like I am), and would better use your time to recover any lost sleep time.

matthyaouw said:
I don't properly sleep in lectures. I just have those "microsleeps" where you nod off for a second, your head starts to flop over, and you suddenly jerk awake.

You think they're microsleeps, and they only last a second. In fact, they're about 15 minutes long each, by which point everyone's seen you and has had a good laugh, taken some photos of you dribbling onto your desk, and drawn a moustache on you in biro.

I did wonder where those moustaches were coming from... I assumed it was just because I was resting my head on the hand with my pen in

I would say sleeping in lectures or libraries is not acceptable. You can do it, and I don't care.

The problem is that you develop a bad habit of sleeping in those areas. Once these areas are important, like an important lecture (hard class), or a big midterm and you need to study at the library, you find yourself unable to stay awake.

The best thing to do is to stay awake doing anything. Walk around or something. I always went to a Student Lounge or a Pub to sleep because they always have couches. :D

I agree with JasonRox. People nod off, and it's not a big deal, but those aren't places to go to purposely catch some zzz's. When I was in college, the student center had some couches that were very comfortable and out of the way a bit...those were good for catching a nap between classes (one campus even had a few beds in a room they called "sleepy hollow," which was intended for the commuters who didn't have dorms to return to if they needed to catch a nap during the day or before driving home at night).

Was that where you took the sailors? :biggrin:

I think as long as you don't start snoring, sleeping would be fine.

I usually bring a backpack with an air mattress in it so I can sleep in the Biography section where no one will bother me.

My friends play some games like sudoku in lectures~
And i think that helps me to wake me up too by playing some game also. And it seems like it does help but you won't really be able to concentrate on lectures. Yet, at least i think that is better than falling asleep all the way.

Argh! Library is the nearest sleeping zone to my lectures hall! Well, i "think" i don't snore, but then, I haven't seen anyone fall asleep in library yet other than myself!

LOL, I killed my own thread!

Btw, I got the desease call tend to sleep in lectures.
I tried to drink coffee but it didnt help much, playing games like sudoku in lectures mean u can't learn much thing at all either to me, forcing urself to stay awake by mean method also seems not working well as I can't understand what the lectures is going on either. Is there any other way to cure this?

darkar said:
sudoku in lectures

That's it! Brilliant!

What are the potential consequences of sleeping in the library and in lectures?

Sleeping in the library and in lectures can have negative consequences such as missing important information, falling behind in assignments, and potentially damaging your academic reputation.

Is it normal to fall asleep in the library and in lectures?

Falling asleep in the library and in lectures is not uncommon, especially for students who are overwhelmed or sleep deprived. However, it is important to find a balance and ensure that it does not become a regular habit.

How can sleeping in the library and in lectures affect my learning?

Sleeping in the library and in lectures can disrupt your learning by causing you to miss important information and not fully engage in class discussions and activities. It can also affect your ability to retain information and perform well on assignments and exams.

What are some strategies to avoid falling asleep in the library and in lectures?

Some strategies to avoid falling asleep in the library and in lectures include getting enough sleep at night, staying hydrated, taking breaks and moving around during long study sessions, and actively participating in class discussions.

Is it better to sleep in the library or in my room?

It is generally better to sleep in your room rather than in the library or in lectures. This is because your room is a designated space for sleeping and is typically quieter and more comfortable, allowing for better quality sleep. However, it is important to find a balance and avoid oversleeping or using your room as a place to escape responsibilities.